‘Shogun’ Rua: I’m Going to Get Through This Loss, Think About the Future

View previous topic View next topic Go down

‘Shogun’ Rua: I’m Going to Get Through This Loss, Think About the Future

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Mauricio Rua was a man of few words following his loss to Ovince St. Preux on Saturday night.

“Shogun” succumbed to a counter left hook just 34 seconds into his headlining bout against the former University of Tennessee football player at UFC Fight Night in Uberlandia, Brazil. It was the second consecutive knockout loss for the Brazilian, who was stopped in the third round by Dan Henderson this past March.

Overall, the former UFC light heavyweight champion and 2005 Pride Middleweight Grand Prix winner has lost four of his last five inside the Octagon.

“Losing is always bad,” Rua said through a translator at the post-fight press conference. “In this weight class and heavyweight, when a punch lands, you feel it. But I’m gonna get through this loss and talk to my team and think about the future. Defeats always suck.”

Rua didn’t have much opportunity to make his mark. St. Preux opened with a push kick and a kick to the chest, and the longtime Chute Boxe standout responded with a hard leg kick. Moments later, Rua rushed forward and whiffed on an overhand, allowing St. Preux to connect with a left hand behind the ear. OSP sealed the victory with a barrage of follow-up strikes on the ground, silencing the crowd at Tancredo Neves Municipal Gymnasium.

Coming into the bout, St. Preux had an idea that a countering opportunity would be available.

“Shogun comes in with looping punches and I’m pretty good at counter punches. I did a real good step off. ... I used that and it ended up landing real good,” St. Preux told Fox Sports.

“I just threw the high kick just to let him know I could throw one and let him know it was there. I knew he was going to try to pressure me. He threw the inside leg kick. I was gonna check that, but he caught me real good with the inside leg kick,” St. Preux continued. “And I knew when he had me back up against the fence that he was gonna lunge in. When he lunged in for that hook, that’s when I countered, and I caught him pretty clean.”

Rua, meanwhile, offered a slightly less detailed explanation.

“The punch landed clean and that’s when a knockout happens,” he said. “He was happy to get it. I made a mistake.”

Next on the 32-year-old Rua’s agenda is a coaching stint opposite Anderson Silva on the fourth installment of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” His next in-cage appearance remains a mystery, however, as Rua and Silva will not fight each other at the conclusion of the reality show.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Shogun-Rua-Im-Going-to-Get-Through-This-Loss-Think-About-the-Future-76913
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Back to top Go down

Re: ‘Shogun’ Rua: I’m Going to Get Through This Loss, Think About the Future

Post by Sweet Pea Is My Mom on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Retire. Save your braincells. Spend some time with your family. Open a gym.

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:Retire. Save your braincells. Spend some time with your family. Open a gym.

http://www.fightline.com/fl-news-2008-0110-313111-/

he owns a gym already

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:55 pm

He should go mw .....

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:24 pm

There is no future in fighting for Shogun. I'm sorry but you have to be extremely delusional to think Shogun has it anymore. I'll say it very clearly: IT'S OVER! I respect Shogun and he's one of the greatest MMA fighters but his fans have to realize it's over. Done. Shogun is at the point where years of fighting, the wars he's had, the three knee surgeries, and the brutal training have finally taken their toll. To be fair, Shogun has looked mostly terrible since coming back from his third surgery in 2011. A move to middleweight would solve nothing. Weight cutting only works when your too small for a division. Shogun isn't too small for Light Heavyweight. Moving to middleweight won't change the fact that Shogun is still beat up and will now face faster opponents. In fact, I don't see Shogun defeating any major name at middleweight and would probably be destroyed by almost every top 10 MW.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum