China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down

China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by God of Thunder on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:17 am



If you've been paying attention to kickboxing, you'll probably recognize that 2014 has been a strange year for the sport. We started things off with GLORY as the clear #1 promotion in the world, with the top talents, biggest events and the most promise. As we enter into 2015 things are a bit more muddy and confusing. In fact, they are a lot more confusing.

GLORY 19 is in February, featuring Rico Verhoeven vs. Errol Zimmerman for the GLORY Heavyweight Championship, but to say that things seem to be in disarray in the GLORY camp is an understatement. The postponement of the show raised a lot of eyebrows and now we are seeing more and more GLORY contracted fighters taking fights somewhere else, or, like Joe Valtellini, petitioning for a shot at the UFC against CM Punk. I wouldn't count GLORY out just yet, but at the same time, if we look at the upcoming Kunlun and Wu Lei Feng cards in China, it's hard not to notice the sheer amount of GLORY talent on those cards.

On January 3rd and 4th

#Kunlun Fight 15

– Rico Verhoeven vs Andrei Herasimchuk

– Sittichai Sitsongpeenong vs Murthel Groenhart

– Jafharr Wilnis vs Alireza Karbasi

Other fights:

– Andy Souwer vs Jaio Fukai

– Steve Moxon vs Aikpracha Meenayothin

– Tomas Hron vs Roman Kryklia

– Victor Nagbe vs Mostafa Rajabi


On January 31 and February 1st

Kunlun Fight 16 and WLF

– Albert Kraus vs ??

– Simon Marcus vs ??

– Arthur Kyshenko vs Bai Jinbin

– Andy Ristie vs Aikpracha Meenayothin

– Robin van Roosmalen vs Dzianis Zuev


Other fights:

– Hesdy Gerges vs Alexy Ignashov

– Colin George vs Mighty Mo

– Cosmo Alexandre vs Li Yankun

This is kind of revealing. In addition to that, on K-1's USA vs. China event happening in China on January 1st the #1 contender for GLORY's Featherweight Championship, Gabriel Varga, will be fighting with GLORY's blessing. K-1 also announced a huge partnership with some of the biggest networks in China for ten live events in 2015. While it isn't clear if K-1 will be making big money from that just yet, the potential viewership for them is out-of-this-world.

As of right now it is looking like China is making huge moves to be the new home of kickboxing and could potentially be the "new" Japan, possibly even ushering in a boom period. We'll just have to wait and see.


http://liverkick.com/index.php/item/3340-china-making-big-plays-for-kickboxing-in-2015
avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2929
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by stu3ufc on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Kunlun fight is taking over!!!!

_________________




avatar
stu3ufc

Posts : 5131
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:31 pm

I think that Glory CAN survive but they are in big trouble, 2015 could be last year for Glory.
avatar
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Moderator

Location : Croatia
Posts : 1149
Join date : 2013-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by God of Thunder on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:38 pm

LEGENDMMA=PRIDEFC wrote:I think that Glory CAN survive but they are in big trouble, 2015 could be last year for Glory.
I don´t care much for Glory (or promotions in general), If Kunlun gets legit english speaking commentators I prefer them to be successful. Same thing for all other promotions that puts together great cards. The production and approach to combat sports has to be classy though.
avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2929
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by iforgotmypassword on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:04 pm

China is the future of combat sports

_________________
China Top Team
avatar
iforgotmypassword

Location : KUNLUN mountain living the dream
Posts : 1442
Join date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by God of Thunder on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:08 pm

iforgotmypassword wrote:China is the future of combat sports
I think so as well. I´m a fan of combat sports first and mma second and if China becomes the new hot spot for kickboxing the universe is back on track.

People are too obsessed with mixed martial arts when they should follow martial arts in general.
avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2929
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by stu3ufc on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:00 pm

LEGENDMMA=PRIDEFC wrote:I think that Glory CAN survive but they are in big trouble, 2015 could be last year for Glory.

of course they are! these americans got invovled and when americans get invovled things go to shit.... plus Americans cant appreciate fine combat sports such as kickboxing and muay thai its why they love ultimate cock fighting and boxing.

Top King WS
Kunlun Fight

taking over baby!!

Golden Age wrote:

People are too obsessed with mixed martial arts when they should follow martial arts in general.


pretty much to the point of defending their dying sport. MMA sucks.... it jumped the shark years ago and now they are doing desperate things to get people watching again. pathetic and sad

_________________




avatar
stu3ufc

Posts : 5131
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by Hamilcar on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Kickboxing would catch on much more quickly in China than MMA. It's just more natural to them. In Western culture wrestling is much more ingrained as a sport than in the East.

_________________
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1136
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:29 am

Hamilcar wrote:Kickboxing would catch on much more quickly in China than MMA.  It's just more natural to them.  In Western culture wrestling is much more ingrained as a sport than in the East.

I do agree, and I think the growth of kickboxing in China is just beginning.

China is an emerging superpower, and China is getting bigger and greater every day. The growth of combat sports is mirroring this, as well.

But, come on, man Wink. China definitely has a wrestling tradition. Inner Mongolia is the most obvious reference point for this (I've been there, and tried my hand at Mongolian wrestling--and lost quickly). But, wrestling is there all over China. Indeed, what about Sanda? It is basically kickboxing with takedowns/throws.

But, I think that China is very fertile ground for kickboxing. And I think it is fertile ground for MMA, as well.

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4466
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by iforgotmypassword on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:41 am

Yeah a few years ago China had a great freestyle team on the women side. But I think China just runs the Olympic sports very separate from the general population.

_________________
China Top Team
avatar
iforgotmypassword

Location : KUNLUN mountain living the dream
Posts : 1442
Join date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by iforgotmypassword on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:43 am

I think Wrestling predates any sport in India or Mongolia. I think wrestling was born in Asia.

_________________
China Top Team
avatar
iforgotmypassword

Location : KUNLUN mountain living the dream
Posts : 1442
Join date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:52 am

iforgotmypassword wrote:Yeah a few years ago China had a great freestyle team on the women side. But I think China just runs the Olympic sports very separate from the general population.

When I was in Inner Mongolia, the tour guide, who was not Mongolian and I think was from Beijing, was showing me moves (I actually already knew everything he showed me, from doing judo--which is pretty similar to Mongolian wrestling, actually). He said that all Chinese people learned a bit of wrestling. I also have a book about a particular style of Chinese 'submission wrestling', if you will.

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4466
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 am

iforgotmypassword wrote:I think Wrestling predates any sport in India or Mongolia. I think wrestling was born in Asia.

I honestly believe that wrestling is as old as humans. Hell, just look at dogs, when they play around. They do wrestling too.

That's why there are wrestling cultures all over the world. It is really the rawest and most basic type of sport (along with running, swimming, gymnastics, even weightlifting (lifting and moving of heavy objects), and the like).

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4466
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by iforgotmypassword on Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:06 am

nodogoshi wrote:
iforgotmypassword wrote:Yeah a few years ago China had a great freestyle team on the women side. But I think China just runs the Olympic sports very separate from the general population.

When I was in Inner Mongolia, the tour guide, who was not Mongolian and I think was from Beijing, was showing me moves (I actually already knew everything he showed me, from doing judo--which is pretty similar to Mongolian wrestling, actually). He said that all Chinese people learned a bit of wrestling. I also have a book about a particular style of Chinese 'submission wrestling', if you will.


that is cool. I wonder if they do their own folk style in school? One reason Japan has the best freestyle program in Asia is because of their pipe line.


the top wrestlers in Japan are very famous and they start wrestling really young with freestyle being the main style.

By the time they are 20 years old they have over 15 years experience in freestyle.

_________________
China Top Team
avatar
iforgotmypassword

Location : KUNLUN mountain living the dream
Posts : 1442
Join date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:18 am

iforgotmypassword wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:
iforgotmypassword wrote:Yeah a few years ago China had a great freestyle team on the women side. But I think China just runs the Olympic sports very separate from the general population.

When I was in Inner Mongolia, the tour guide, who was not Mongolian and I think was from Beijing, was showing me moves (I actually already knew everything he showed me, from doing judo--which is pretty similar to Mongolian wrestling, actually). He said that all Chinese people learned a bit of wrestling. I also have a book about a particular style of Chinese 'submission wrestling', if you will.


that is cool. I wonder if they do their own folk style in school? One reason Japan has the best freestyle program in Asia is because of their pipe line.


the top wrestlers in Japan are very famous and they start wrestling really young with freestyle being the main style.

By the time they are 20 years old they have over 15 years experience in freestyle.

I honestly don't know much about this.

I don't think that wrestling is a major sport in schools in China and Japan.

I was at a Dream event one time, and sitting right behind me was an entire crew, including children, from an MMA and wrestling academy in Tokyo, and they were there to cheer for one of the fighters, who was of their academy (I don't remember who, but I think it was a very famous fighter. I basically know who it was. But I can't remember his name.)

The Japanese female wrestlers are absolute beasts. And Japan produces some very good wrestlers in mens freestyle and greco, as well.

I remember watching the last Olympics, and there was one Japanese man who won a gold medal in greco. He was like an animal. In one match, he was on a guy, and the guy reached back and stuck his hand in his face. And the Japanese guy bit his fucking hand, and drew blood. Biting is obviously illegal, but the guy with the hand in the face was also technically fouling him. When I saw that, I just thought holy shit. This guy is like a fucking wolf.

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4466
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by stu3ufc on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 am

nodogoshi was it Miyata?

His school is a wrestling one


_________________




avatar
stu3ufc

Posts : 5131
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:50 am

Stu, yes indeed it was Miyata.

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4466
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:54 am

Awesome highlight, stu.

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4466
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: China Making Big Plays for Kickboxing in 2015

Post by stu3ufc on Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:17 pm

nodogoshi wrote:Stu, yes indeed it was Miyata.

yes!! I just remember because one time he came out with all his kids that go to his gym

_________________




avatar
stu3ufc

Posts : 5131
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum