Kevin Randleman recounts how he and Chuck Liddell "Beat 'Cro Cop' together"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kevin Randleman recounts how he and Chuck Liddell "Beat 'Cro Cop' together"

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:26 am

Former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin "The Monster" Randleman is almost as known for his candid answers to questions about his inspiring, wild, and all-around epic life, as he is for slamming opponents to the mat. So, MMA Roasted host Adam Hunter likely thought he was about to get a stack of lurid sex tales when he asked Randleman about his time as a superstar fighter in Japan, groupies, and how many "trains" he ran on the local talent along with friend, UFC superstar and notorious party animal Chuck Liddell.

Randleman's answer was shocking, but not in an X-rated way. After denying ever taking part in the types of exploits Hunter suggested, he did reveal that Liddell and him did team up once - to beat Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

"We did tag-team 'Cro Cop,' Randleman joked.

"We beat 'Cro Cop' down together."

Back in 2004, the former NCAA wrestling national champion Randleman was in Japan to face feared striker "Cro Cop." Randleman was on a two-fight losing streak, while his Croatian opponent was riding high on a two-fight win by stoppage run.

"The Monster" was a serious underdog against Mirko, but he had a secret weapon in his camp, on fight week - former UFC opponent Chuck Liddell. Liddell had knocked Randleman out three years prior in the UFC, but the two became close friends, so much so that "The Iceman" helped the Buckeye prepare for "Cro Cop."

"Chuck Liddell, for six days straight, right before I fought 'Cro Cop,' trained me," Randleman explained.

"I didn't know anything about fighting a Southpaw, or fighting a kickboxer...literally, what he showed me is why I knocked him out."

Randleman surprised "Cro Cop" by beating him at his own game, and knocking him down with a left hook that sent the kickboxer falling to the mat. From there, Randleman added a few forearm strikes to the jaw, and got the shocking first round KO victory.

"[Liddell] showed me stances," Randleman detailed.

"He showed me all the preparation like, when a guy goes to throw a kick, all the little tells that they give, and how to attack.

"If a guy is trying to kick me with his right leg, attack his left shoulder. Push him off balance. He's going to hit you, it's just not going to be the powerul hit that it would have been if you didn't push the shoulder. So, finally, the day of the fight I said, 'Chuck, can I just throw a hook and hit him?' And, he said, 'That's it! That's exactly what you should do!' And, sure enough, I hit him with the left hook and dropped him."

Listen to the full, excellent conversation with MMA legend Kevin Randleman below to hear about the upcoming book he has planned, a recent hip surgery, old school, anything goes, bare knuckle tournaments in Brazil, and just how badly he still wants to get his hands on former UFC champ Tito Ortiz.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/kevin-randleman-recounts-how-he-and-chuck-liddell-beat-cro-cop-together-011515
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Randleman recounts how he and Chuck Liddell "Beat 'Cro Cop' together"

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:27 pm

I remember ordering that Pride ppv.

Good interview.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:32 pm

How dare you financially contribute to the yakuza that killed pride and jmma......(see i can be ignorant too Smile )

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Keep trolling fka.

Your posts just highlight your lack of critical thinking and comprehension.

Nice to hear the interview with Randleman.

Kind of cool to hear about Liddell helping him out.

Randy Couture vs Randleman is one of the forgotten heavyweight championship fights in UFC history.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:58 pm

i always wondered why chuck was in kevin randleman corner that fight . Ironic how he ko mirko  and cro cop subbed him though kevin  was not known for his sub skills .who would win against chuck and mirko ?
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by rezin on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Crocop should have never lost, except to Fedor and Minotauro. That would have been alright.

As far as the yakuza, they suported the golden age of mma and I thank them for that. The american mafia is providing us with the dark ages of mma. I guess it's like a yin-yang thing.

- Ikuhisa Minowa. 1976 - infinity
rezin

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:54 pm

rezin wrote:Crocop should have never lost, except to Fedor and Minotauro. That would have been alright.

As far as the yakuza, they suported the golden age of mma and I thank them for that. The american mafia is providing us with the dark ages of mma. I guess it's like a yin-yang thing.
well he did get his revenge on him so it evens out . Fedor really was the one who beat ,beat cro cop big nog had a come from behind victory . mark hunt was a spilt dec .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by God of Thunder on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 am

fka wrote:How dare you financially contribute to the yakuza that killed pride and jmma......(see i can be ignorant too Smile )
Did the yakuza promote trashy Ultimate Cagefighting? Did they talk shit about the athletes and other promotions? Did the yakuza lock up the fighters and force them to sign away their likeness for eternity?

We don´t know exactly how the Yakuza was involved in PRIDE but we do know PRIDE represented real, beautiful and classy mma. The Zuffa version of mma is the opposite of PRIDE and there´s nothing you can say that will change that.
God of Thunder
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:06 am

Golden Age wrote:
fka wrote:How dare you financially contribute to the yakuza that killed pride and jmma......(see i can be ignorant too Smile )
Did the yakuza promote trashy Ultimate Cagefighting? Did they talk shit about the athletes and other promotions? Did the yakuza lock up the fighters and force them to sign away their likeness for eternity?

We don´t know exactly how the Yakuza was involved in PRIDE but we do know PRIDE represented real, beautiful and classy mma. The Zuffa version of mma is the opposite of PRIDE and there´s nothing you can say that will change that.

To be fair, Fedor's old manager Miro Mijatovic did say Sakakibara and the Yakuza with PRIDE threaten to kill him if he didn't sign away Fedor to them. Then you have the mysterious death of Naoto Morishita and how some believe he was murdered.

Look, I love PRIDE and it was the best MMA had to offer but they weren't saints either. I hate what the UFC does and I wish a company out there would knock them off their high horse and Dana was disgracefully removed from the sport but PRIDE wasn't perfect either.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by God of Thunder on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:33 am

Rocksoldier84 wrote:
Golden Age wrote:

To be fair, Fedor's old manager Miro Mijatovic did say Sakakibara and the Yakuza with PRIDE threaten to kill him if he didn't sign away Fedor to them. Then you have the mysterious death of Naoto Morishita and how some believe he was murdered.

Look, I love PRIDE and it was the best MMA had to offer but they weren't saints either. I hate what the UFC does and I wish a company out there would knock them off their high horse and Dana was disgracefully removed from the sport but PRIDE wasn't perfect either.
We don´t know what really happened with PRIDE and the yakuza can go f#ck themselves for all I care. The most important thing is the version of mma PRIDE represented. It´s hard to discuss this with you since I know you prefer cagefighting over ring.

The ring and humble, classy bigger than life production made PRIDE great. If the Zuffa version of the sport will continue to dominate I will skip mma completely and watch other combat sports instead.
God of Thunder
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 am

As Keita Nakamura's father told me over some beers after his son's KO victory at Deep 68, "show business is dirty."

I've drank enough beers with yakuza guys as well.

I gotta agree with Golden Age on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 am

Golden Age wrote:

^^^^^this!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:57 am

Golden Age > FKA!

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:51 pm

Golden Age wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
Golden Age wrote:

We don´t know what really happened with PRIDE and the yakuza can go f#ck themselves for all I care. The most important thing is the version of mma PRIDE represented. It´s hard to discuss this with you since I know you prefer cagefighting over ring.

The ring and humble, classy bigger than life production made PRIDE great. If the Zuffa version of the sport will continue to dominate I will skip mma completely and watch other combat sports instead.

Don't insult my intelligence dude. Just because I prefer a cage doesn't mean I'm any less of an MMA fan. Actually, I prefer M-1's RAAGE overall since it tries to combine elements of a ring and cage. I love PRIDE. I love PRIDE's shows. I want to go back to that. All I'm saying is the people of PRIDE weren't perfect. By the way, if PRIDE used a cage and the UFC used a ring, you would love the cage and complain that the UFC is putting their fighters in danger because of fighter potentially falling out.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by God of Thunder on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Rocksoldier84 wrote:
Golden Age wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
Golden Age wrote:

Don't insult my intelligence dude. Just because I prefer a cage doesn't mean I'm any less of an MMA fan. Actually, I prefer M-1's RAAGE overall since it tries to combine elements of a ring and cage. I love PRIDE. I love PRIDE's shows. I want to go back to that. All I'm saying is the people of PRIDE weren't perfect. By the way, if PRIDE used a cage and the UFC used a ring, you would love the cage and complain that the UFC is putting their fighters in danger because of fighter potentially falling out.
I didn´t try to insult you. The cage got to go imo and I know you want it to stay. I never liked cagefighting and I never will. Bellator must switch to ring as well as everyone else. If PRIDE used a cage I wouldn´t have been a fan.

I was a kickboxing fan from the beginning and when Cro Cop signed with PRIDE I started watching PRIDE since they used a ring like in kickboxing and the strikers can use their full arsenal. The UFC and their version of the sport with a cage turned me of big time and I will never accept it.
God of Thunder
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:19 pm

The ring is much better than the cage.

The falling out of the ring thing is silly. They can add a couple extra feet to the surface of the ring outside the ropes, that way even if they go through the ropes they will land on the mat.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:25 pm

I prefer ring as well mainly in Japan and Asia and Europe. I like ring in there and cage in North America. I like the mix of ring and cage events. Right now it is almost all cage events which sucks.

Isaiah 53, Daniel 9:25-27, Acts 4:12
http://www.godandscience.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:23 pm

I think just as important as the ring/cage issue is the unified rules.

I hate the unified rules that UFC uses
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:27 pm

TeamJohnPerretti wrote:I think just as important as the ring/cage issue is the unified rules.

I hate the unified rules that UFC uses

Yeah, not a fan of those rules either.  Scoring system sucks.  Should at least allow knees on the ground.  They need to enforce the timidity rule and start deducting points for stalling or inactivity. 12-6 elbow rule makes no sense.

Isaiah 53, Daniel 9:25-27, Acts 4:12
http://www.godandscience.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum