European Judo Union Ends Partnership with the UFC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

European Judo Union Ends Partnership with the UFC

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:00 pm

http://www.bjjee.com/featured/judo-politics-european-judo-union-ends-partnership-with-the-ufc/

Last week, the UFC, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organisation, announced their involvement in the 2015 European Judo Championships, which will take place in Glasgow, UK in April, as they continue to support the development of combat sports around the world.

According to Bloodyelbow.com, the deal is off:

The European Judo Union (EJU) has allegedly threatened to cancel the European Championships if the competition remained affiliated with the UFC.

David Allen, Senior Vice President and General Manager UFC EMEA spoke of his disappointment at having to end the sponsorship

“We love to see sport thrive and athletes prosper, which is why the UFC prides itself on supporting all combat sports both mixed and individual disciplines. Our aim was to help Judo reach a new audience, increase promotion, help to sell tickets and create a buzz around the European judo Championships. It is disappointing to see that the European Judo Union cannot see the benefits of collaboration and celebration of all sports.”

While the EJU hasn’t made a public statement about their reason for calling off the deal, there are many speculations that Judo politics regarding fear of losing top athletes to the UFC.

This comes as no surprise following the comments of Jean-Luc Rouge, General Secretary of the IJF and President of the French Judo Federation (FFJDA), who in an interview with L’Equipe TV  said :

“These new combat sports (MMA) seem like they come out of a video game. These guys are stupid enough to kill each other in front of everyone in a cage and they are well paid, so they would accept. Sport is not war! We must be able to shake hands and go have a beer together in the end, “he said

jean luc rouge

BJJ Hostel Ad for BJJEE

A few months ago, The IJF – International Judo Federation shared an official statement on their facebook page addressing the recent scandal of not allowing international Judo competitors to compete in other grappling sports before they quickly DELETED their facebook post and DELETED their website page with this letter because they were getting so much  backlash.

In the letter, IJF president Marcus Vizer talked about preserving Judo and not ‘spiritually contaminating’ Judo with Migration to other sports.

This comes a few months after IJF (International Judo Federation) was reported to be preparing a project deemed “confidential”. The French Judo Federation and Associated Disciplines (FFJDA) is the 4th biggest National Sports Federation in France with over 570,000 licensees, and plans to create a new sport, “Mixed Jujitsu Arts.” In other words, MJA. An acronym that makes you think of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), the most popular combat sport of the moment, which allows for ground strikes in addition to boxing techniques, wrestling, judo and grappling. This is obviously not a coincidence.

Back to top Go down

Re: European Judo Union Ends Partnership with the UFC

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Good thing Europe has class and ditch that trash. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by iforgotmypassword on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:34 pm

great post kayneo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Expect the zombies to bitch about the unions putting the UFC down.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:54 pm

Rocksoldier84 wrote:Expect the zombies to bitch about the unions putting the UFC down.

you sir or mam should be a fortune teller because your 100% spot on .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:51 am

westcott123 wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:Expect the zombies to bitch about the unions putting the UFC down.

I'm a sir. I'm no fortune teller but rather zombies are more predictable than the sun rising in the morning.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Rocksoldier84 wrote:
westcott123 wrote:

I'm a sir. I'm no fortune teller but rather zombies are more predictable than the sun rising in the morning.

yeah your right one person on sherdog wrote along the lines of judo screwed it self rejected the company that will give broaden their appeal and ronda rousey succsess could of been a major boost . Well there are two things 1 this person on sherdog must only be 16 or 17 and 2 judo been around even longer than the ufc and mma in general so i don't see how they need zuffa.
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Im glad they flipped em da bird...

Although what i find most interesting is the talk of not letting atheletes from judo go to other sports and talking down on mma...

Then they plan on creating a mixed judo fighting league with acronym that makes it come off as mma like...

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iforgotmypassword on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Everyone, even casual fans like these Judo people, knows MMA is a dead sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by RussianTopTeam on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:05 pm

no idea why they even sponsored them in the first place 

Back to top Go down

Post by God of Thunder on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

This comes as no surprise following the comments of Jean-Luc Rouge, General Secretary of the IJF and President of the French Judo Federation (FFJDA), who in an interview with L’Equipe TV  said :

“These new combat sports (MMA) seem like they come out of a video game. These guys are stupid enough to kill each other in front of everyone in a cage and they are well paid, so they would accept. Sport is not war! We must be able to shake hands and go have a beer together in the end, “he said
I couldn´t have said it better myself. Combat sports should be about honour and respect, not human cockfighting and trash talking.
God of Thunder
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by iforgotmypassword on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:09 pm

KUNLUN is class and grace.

MMA has no honor. It's like watching prison gang fights. Yeah it could be fun but thats not a sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by nhbnews on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:13 am

Boxing is still more popular than MMA.

Judo is also very popular in many countries, including France with superstar heavyweight champion Teddy Riner. They do not need Zuffa's "help".

Zuffa forced this confrontation by not immediately backing out when the EJU told British Judo to drop UFC's sponsorship, and really by pushing this issue in the first place. Whatever other motives the judo groups may have, they do not like UFC's hateful and vulgar culture and their lack of positive values.

EJU's parent federation is the International Judo Federation, headed by Marius Vizer, who is also head of SportAccord. So Zuffa not only cooked their own goose with judo, but also SportAccord, thus making it even more remote that their "IMMAF" be accepted into SportAccord.

The M-1-associated WMMAA, with Fedor as honorary president and Vadim Finkelchtein as president, has a great claim to be recognized by SportAccord as the true international MMA federation. SportAccord only takes one federation per sport, although they encourage rival federations to merge -- something we know the Las Vegas cowboys will not do.

The honorary president of IJF is Putin, who also is influential in SportAccord. Their next convention is in April in Sochi, and their 2013 convention was in St. Petersburg, Russia. So who do you think he wants as an international MMA federation?

Thus, Zuffa's tactics, which may succeed in Sin City, were disastrous outside the US, and may lead to the collapse of their international federation. That will not only keep them out of SportAccord and, of course, the Olympics, but also out of running UFC shows in countries which want events to be sanctioned by a federation.

nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media

http://eddiegoldman.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum