Sumo Thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sumo Thread

Post by God of Thunder on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:05 am

Discuss sumo wrestling here. Post sumo rankings and videos.

avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2933
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by fatty on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:18 am

That image is fucked up man lol
I remember watching sumo here in the uk when I was a kid. We have a channel 4 here in the uk that used to show sumo matches but I'm talking ages ago. I remember a giant sumo that would beat EVERY ONE. I think his name was panda.... I remember another sumo who was very muscular which made him stand out against all the other guys. Its was weird because he was a kind of muscular fat guy. Anyway it was exciting to see these huge giants fight, slapping each other around & throwing each other around but when the channel stopped showing this sport that was the last I saw of sumo. Back then there wasn't satellite tv or even internet lol. I just wish they'd put some pants on though lol ! Embarassed
avatar
fatty

Location : uk
Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 am

Sumo is cool.

Much more technique, skill and athleticism involved than people think.
avatar
TeamJohnPerretti
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 1850
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by iforgotmypassword on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:21 am

I here Sumo's get ALL the women

_________________
China Top Team
avatar
iforgotmypassword

Location : KUNLUN mountain living the dream
Posts : 1456
Join date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 am

Here's a good highlight video. It's been edited down so it's just wrestling and everthing else is cut out.







avatar
TeamJohnPerretti
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 1850
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:31 pm

I can respect a combat sport that is so firmly entrenched in culture and tradition, like Sumo, but I don't know a thing about it. It's not like the other combat sports where I have practiced the martial art and can understand what is going on because I have been there.

What I do find interesting is that Sumo was occasionally an event in the World's Strongest Man competitions. That alone tells you that there is alot of strength involved in the competition.

What holds it back is that it is so ugly to watch. Two fat guys wrestling in ancient Japanese underwear. I can't bring myself to watch very much of it. What I don't get is what is it about the sport where they HAVE to be fat? If they need alot of weight why not just go full bodybuilder and pile on loads of muscle? You'll be stronger, heavier and more athletic, not to mention healthier.

And yes, I too have heard that Sumo Wrestlers get the ladies. I hear it is because the athletes are full of class and dignity.

_________________
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by God of Thunder on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Hamilcar wrote:I can respect a combat sport that is so firmly entrenched in culture and tradition, like Sumo, but I don't know a thing about it.  It's not like the other combat sports where I have practiced the martial art and can understand what is going on because I have been there.

What I do find interesting is that Sumo was occasionally an event in the World's Strongest Man competitions.  That alone tells you that there is alot of strength involved in the competition.

What holds it back is that it is so ugly to watch.  Two fat guys wrestling in ancient Japanese underwear.  I can't bring myself to watch very much of it.  What I don't get is what is it about the sport where they HAVE to be fat?  If they need alot of weight why not just go full bodybuilder and pile on loads of muscle?  You'll be stronger, heavier and more athletic, not to mention healthier.  

And yes, I too have heard that Sumo Wrestlers get the ladies.  I hear it is because the athletes are full of class and dignity.
Takanoyama from the Czech Republic has muscles and less fat and he beat much bigger opponents. He´s one of my favourites.

avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2933
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by God of Thunder on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:02 pm

fatty wrote:That image is fucked up man lol
I remember watching sumo here in the uk when I was a kid. We have a channel 4 here in the uk that used to show sumo matches but I'm talking ages ago. I remember a giant sumo that would beat EVERY ONE. I think his name was panda.... I remember another sumo who was very muscular which made him stand out against all the other guys. Its was weird because he was a kind of muscular fat guy. Anyway it was exciting to see these huge giants fight, slapping each other around & throwing each other around but when the channel stopped showing this sport that was the last I saw of sumo. Back then there wasn't satellite tv or even internet lol. I just wish they'd put some pants on though lol !  Embarassed
I recognize the name panda from many years ago. I have to look him up. We had sumo on eurosport in the early 90s.
avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2933
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by God of Thunder on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm

The WWE version of sumo What a Face

avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2933
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Golden Age wrote:
Takanoyama from the Czech Republic has muscles and less fat and he beat much bigger opponents. He´s one of my favourites.


Okay, I like this guy! You can see that he really forces the other guys to move fast. And it is very impressive how he can stand his ground against such bigger opponents! I take it there are no weight classes in sumo?
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 pm

I take it this guy is considered one of the legends of the sport:



Asashōryū Akinori is the first ever Mongolian Sumo wrestler to reach the highest ranks. He is the 68th yokozuna became the first ever wrestler to win all 6 official tournaments in a single year. He started off in the lighter weight weighing at 129kg (284lbs) before he gradually out more weight on in his career. He relied on his style of speed and technique to compete against his bigger opponents oppose to out strengthening them.
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by CDF47 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Golden Age wrote:
Hamilcar wrote:I can respect a combat sport that is so firmly entrenched in culture and tradition, like Sumo, but I don't know a thing about it.  It's not like the other combat sports where I have practiced the martial art and can understand what is going on because I have been there.

What I do find interesting is that Sumo was occasionally an event in the World's Strongest Man competitions.  That alone tells you that there is alot of strength involved in the competition.

What holds it back is that it is so ugly to watch.  Two fat guys wrestling in ancient Japanese underwear.  I can't bring myself to watch very much of it.  What I don't get is what is it about the sport where they HAVE to be fat?  If they need alot of weight why not just go full bodybuilder and pile on loads of muscle?  You'll be stronger, heavier and more athletic, not to mention healthier.  

And yes, I too have heard that Sumo Wrestlers get the ladies.  I hear it is because the athletes are full of class and dignity.
Takanoyama from the Czech Republic has muscles and less fat and he beat much bigger opponents. He´s one of my favourites.


That was impressive

_________________
MMA Major Leagues: UFC, RIZIN, Bellator, KSW, WSOF, ROAD FC, ONE, Fight Nights, M-1 Global
Psalms 23
http://www.godandscience.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
avatar
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Location : United States
Posts : 11083
Join date : 2011-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by fatty on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Good to see other countries get involved, still think they should put some pants on though.
avatar
fatty

Location : uk
Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:33 am

For those interested: It looks like there is a sumo tournament going on now over the next two weeks.Nihon Sumo Kyokai
The 2015 March Grand Sumo Tournament.  And they are livestreaming it. For a fee.  In Yen.  So I guess, only nodogoshi can watch it.
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:38 am

I remember hearing a American sumbo wrestler won a match by using judo skill.

_________________



"The sheep are still asleep in zuffiaa safe media world, so my mission is to wake them up

and expose them by telling them the truth . Afterward I unplug the brainwashing machine

of their head from zuffia."
- kayneoTheRisingWarrior
avatar
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Location : earthrealm
Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 am

The Later this year there supposed be a tournament down in long beach,CA.

_________________



"The sheep are still asleep in zuffiaa safe media world, so my mission is to wake them up

and expose them by telling them the truth . Afterward I unplug the brainwashing machine

of their head from zuffia."
- kayneoTheRisingWarrior
avatar
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Location : earthrealm
Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by God of Thunder on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Does anyone have sumo world rankings?
avatar
God of Thunder
Admin

Location : Sweden
Posts : 2933
Join date : 2014-02-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by nodogoshi on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:48 pm

The best way to watch sumo is to look up Kintamayama on YouTube. He posts all the matches daily edited together. There was another guy, I forgot his name, who posted everything (from the lower division up) but the Japanese sumo federation ended its free stream and started charging exhorbatantly for a paid stream, and also killed his YouTube account. Kintamayama is still alive though.

Also the best site for sumo data is Sumo Reference, and also Wikipedia has a lot of good info.

There's also a good sumo forum (Google it).

_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4452
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:09 am

For those interested: here is a good introduction to sumo.

_________________
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Fri May 08, 2015 3:41 pm

From 10 MAY to 24 MAY there is a sumo tournament going on. You can watch it on Kintamayama's youtube channel as he uploads them (pretty quickly, too).

_________________
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Fri May 08, 2015 4:39 pm

thank Hamilcar i'll check that out.Here sumo info graphic 

_________________



"The sheep are still asleep in zuffiaa safe media world, so my mission is to wake them up

and expose them by telling them the truth . Afterward I unplug the brainwashing machine

of their head from zuffia."
- kayneoTheRisingWarrior
avatar
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Location : earthrealm
Posts : 1554
Join date : 2013-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by nodogoshi on Sun May 10, 2015 11:06 am


_________________
avatar
nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4452
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Mon May 11, 2015 10:22 pm

Natsu Basho 2015 Day 2


_________________
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Natsu Basho 2015 Day 3

_________________
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by Hamilcar on Wed May 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Natsu Basho 2015 Day 4
avatar
Hamilcar
Moderator

Location : Hangzhou
Posts : 1068
Join date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum