Sumo Thread

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sumo Thread

Post by nodogoshi on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:04 am

Hakuho is now 123 wins shy of the top spot for career wins. He has 920. Kaio is #1 with 1047. Hakuho will likely go into the #1 spot after 10 more tournaments--assuming he stays healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:44 pm

What I find interesting about sumo, is that the wrestlers appear highly athletic while being fat. Like, it is not a bunch of obese people shoving each other. They are actually fast and strong and even flexible.

I am curious how they achieve this balance of being heavy, while being athletic. Also, do they suffer from the same health issues that the obese do?

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Hamilcar wrote:What I find interesting about sumo, is that the wrestlers appear highly athletic while being fat.  Like, it is not a bunch of obese people shoving each other.  They are actually fast and strong and even flexible.  

I am curious how they achieve this balance of being heavy, while being athletic.  Also, do they suffer from the same health issues that the obese do?  

They train hard. And flexibility is also part of sumo training. Most of them can do the splits, from what I understand.

Size is very important in sumo. Takanohana is an example of a guy that achieved the top level in sumo, and then he lost weight after he retired. It is frankly in issue. But hell, who am I?

Most sumo wrestlers don't have long lives.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 pm

The Nagoya Basho is already under way.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 am

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 am

Sorry I haven't posted the recent videos (though surely you lazy bastards can go to the youtube channel if you actually care enough).

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:15 am

I would be totally watching this if the Chinese internet didn't block and throttle anything and everything that isn't in Chinese (even this website takes forever and a half to load).
I'm still trying to hack past their censorship. Once I do that I will be able to watch something other than Kunlun.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:19 am

Hamilcar wrote:I would be totally watching this if the Chinese internet didn't block and throttle anything and everything that isn't in Chinese (even this website takes forever and a half to load).  
I'm still trying to hack past their censorship.  Once I do that I will be able to watch something other than Kunlun.

Yeah I hate Chinese internet.

They are basically strangling their economy by not allowing access to the cutting edge IT as well.

I used StrongVPN. It was okay. But somewhat unreliable (but I got the cheapest package). Sometimes you can't access the VPN sites from China though I believe. I think they've taken to blocking those too, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:47 am

nodogoshi wrote:
Hamilcar wrote:I would be totally watching this if the Chinese internet didn't block and throttle anything and everything that isn't in Chinese (even this website takes forever and a half to load).  
I'm still trying to hack past their censorship.  Once I do that I will be able to watch something other than Kunlun.

Yeah I hate Chinese internet.

They are basically strangling their economy by not allowing access to the cutting edge IT as well.

I used StrongVPN. It was okay. But somewhat unreliable (but I got the cheapest package). Sometimes you can't access the VPN sites from China though I believe. I think they've taken to blocking those too, right?

It's gotten much worse since the last time I was here three years ago. They blocked all video sharing sites and even Google E-mail now. Back then, I didn't care, I made a point of not using a VPN to experience Chinese internet. But now, it is cutting into my real work with me being unable to sue my e-mail accounts a third of the time. I wouldn't have a problem with using the Chinese video sharing sites if they would jusst have a half decent search and tag function. Also, they don't seem to upload much on those sites other than music and Chinese dramas.

My wife is talking about paying for a VPN service, but I have a thing against paying for software (I am an open-source advocate) and want to solve this problem myself. Once I do, I will be able to contribute a bit more here again.

Hamilcar

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:05 am

In any case, here's the rest of the videos (last day was today, and I haven't watched it yet. Was about to do that.)

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 am

Back to top Go down

Back to top Go down

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:56 pm