UFC 1 Vet Kevin Rosier Dies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

UFC 1 Vet Kevin Rosier Dies

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 pm

There are a number of stark reminders as to just how young the sport of MMA really is. One of those is the fact of just how many early MMA fighters are still alive and with us. Guys who stepped into the cage before anyone had a clear idea of what modern MMA would look like are still around to tell the tale of the origins of the sport. One of those early pioneers of the sport passed away this week, as MMA Fighting reports that Kevin Rosier died following a severe heart attack. Rosier was only 53 years old.

A military veteran, Rosier spent much of his early years living with aunts and uncles in upstate New York. He learned boxing and karate at the local Boys & Girls Club in East Aurora, earning his black belt from Sensei William James Gallant. Much of Rosier's career as a fighter was spent taking smokers in clubs and gambling houses around the world, and serving as a bodyguard to a number of celebrities and entertainers (apparently including Rick James and Billy Idol). Art Davie spoke to MMA Fighting about Rosier's time in the UFC:

"He was the hailest and happiest guy at the [UFC 1 after] party," Davie said. "He was so proud that he had won that first bout."

"That's my memory of Kevin -- a big, lovable lug who had a heart as big as he was," Davie said.

Suffering from longtime health problems, and the complications of a lifetime spent in combat sports, Rosier spent the last several years of his life living at the Manor at Steeplechase retirement home, down in Florida. During his career in the ring, Rosier won several heavyweight kickboxing titles across the US, eventually he would claim a record of 66-8 in the sport, as well as less impressive MMA and pro-boxing stints.

Still the time he's best remembered for is his appearance in the first ever UFC tournament, UFC 1, back in Denver, Colorado in 1993. Rosier fought in the second televised bout on the card, stomping out Zane Frazier to move on to the second round, where he would lose to Gerard Gordeau. Still, it was a big personal win for Rosier, who came in way out of shape from his kickboxing prime and had hardly trained for the event at all.

Rosier got another shot, at UFC 4, a loss to Joe Charles. His last fight came in the boxing ring, in 2001. Rosier may not have left a large mark on the MMA landscape, but he was an undeniable part of the fascinating, strange, and violent landscape of early no holds barred fighting.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/4/14/8416657/ufc-1-kevin-rosier-dead-heart-attack-53-no-holds-barred-mma-origins-news
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Re: UFC 1 Vet Kevin Rosier Dies

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 pm

RIP
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by PRIDE4EVER on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:19 pm

RIP true pioneer will never forget his head stomps in the first UFC brutal stuff
PRIDE4EVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Maurice Smith vs. Kevin Rosier in a kickboxing match from 1990.

TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Kevin Rosier vs. Houston Dorr in a kickboxing match from 1994. Both were veterans of the SEG era UFC. They also fought each other in mma.

TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:27 pm

I have seen multiple fights of his a great athelete for his size he had a good chin to.got a couple fight dvds hes featured on.

Rip

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 pm

I saw Kevin fight live when I was a teenager at the second mma event I attended.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 am

R.I.P!

He had like a 7-17 kickboxing record as well

pioneer of the sport. If this was WWE the guy would get a mention on their programming but for zuffa i'd be surprised if they do or say anything

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:20 am

stu3ufc wrote:

pioneer of the sport. If this was WWE the guy would get a mention on their programming but for zuffa i'd be surprised if they do or say anything

I'm sure they haven't said anything about him at all.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything else from a company that is set on destroying mma and is run by a guy who wont let his own mother see her grandchildren.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:22 am

not even a fucking article on ufc's front page

but

page van zant and ronda are all over it

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:24 am

Here's an online guest book for his obituary.

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/buffalonews/kevin-g-rosier-condolences/174646289?#sthash.eE4fDcMB.dpbs
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 am

ROSIER - Kevin G. April 13, 2015, in Tennessee, formerly of Buffalo, NY, beloved son of Patricia and the late Earl Rosier and Norma; dear brother of Diane (Jim) Rose, William (Michele) Rosier, Lisa (Mark) Tarnowski, Joel (Tammy) Rosier; former spouse of Amy Lipps Rosier; father of Lauren (Ryan) Reyelts, Melissa, Michael Anthony, Maximillion and Madisun Rosier; also survived by several nieces and nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Relatives and friends may call at the BARRON-MILLER FUNERAL HOME INC., 3025 William St., near Union Rd., Cheektowaga, Friday 2-4 and 6-8 PM. Flowers gratefully declined. Kevin was a U.S. Army veteran.

See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/buffalonews/obituary.aspx?pid=174646289#sthash.o8YtGVLT.dpuf
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum