Randy Couture explains why he ducked a Pride FC contract

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Randy Couture explains why he ducked a Pride FC contract

Post by stu3ufc on Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/26/8659345/randy-couture-explains-why-he-never-signed-with-pride-ufc-news

"There was a moment when I was being offered a contract by PRIDE in PRIDE's heyday," Couture said. "It was a sizable monetary contract for that time. I had to consider it, for sure. The UFC came back, they had first right of refusal and all that stuff. It ended up making more sense for me to end up staying in the American marketplace." Couture continued to explain that the situation of his long-time friend Dan Henderson was one of the main reasons for him not to join the UFC's biggest competitor. "I'd been long-time friends with Henderson who'd been fighting in PRIDE for quite a while, but relatively unknown really in the American market because most of his fights had taken place in Japan and there wasn't a lot of crossover back then. So, even though they may have been offering me a little bit more up-front money, it made more sense in the long run for me to stay in the American market and stay with the UFC. That could have gone a different way. If I'd made the decision to go to PRIDE and try out PRIDE back then it would have been interesting." wrote:

clear duck! PRIDE FC was where the best fought the best....

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Re: Randy Couture explains why he ducked a Pride FC contract

Post by Heretic on Tue May 26, 2015 4:45 pm

I remember back in the day when Randy wanted to unify the titles back in 03-04 against a Prime Wanderlei. But that was a long time ago, Randy's style probably never would have transitioned well in PRIDE
Heretic

Back to top Go down

Re: Randy Couture explains why he ducked a Pride FC contract

Post by westcott123 on Tue May 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Heretic wrote:I remember back in the day when Randy wanted to unify the titles back in 03-04 against a Prime Wanderlei. But that was a long time ago, Randy's style probably never would have transitioned well in PRIDE

Exactly his style wasn't suited for the ring. He wasn't exactly successful in rings .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum