NEW YORK MMA bill is dead LOL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEW YORK MMA bill is dead LOL

Post by stu3ufc on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Report: MMA in New York dead again, bill fails to get through legislature
By Zane Simon @TheZaneSimon on Jun 25, 2015, 3:16p
It's 2015, but it looks like it might as well be any time in the past decade as far as efforts to get an MMA bill passed in New York are concerned.

Nothing is more grindingly slow or maddeningly inefficient than politics. MMA may be creeping ever closer to legalization in New York, but creeping closer still means ultimately failing. That's what the latest, 2015 version of an MMA legalization bill appears to have done in the New York state legislature. It's the 8th straight year that a proposed MMA bill has failed to pass, but this one stings just a little more than the last few.

Following the arrest of Sheldon Silver, one of the state's main opponents to legal MMA in NY, many felt that this was keystone that would erode the state's long standing resistance to the world's fastest growing combat sport. The UFC even saved a date for Madison Square Garden at the end of the year, ready to put on their first ever show in New York City. Maybe next year?

Longtime New York based MMA reporter Jim Genia broke the news on Twitter:

His report was confirmed by MMA legal expert Michael Kim, also via Twitter:

Politics on the Hudson was on the scene reporting on just why the bill failed to pass, and it looks like the biggest reason was that, on the last day of the session, a lot of lawmakers expected to support the measure just weren't around to voice that support:

"My big challenge today is that a number of members who are counted as supporters were just unavailable today because of the scheduling, that we weren't expected to be here this long," Assembly Majority Leader Joseph Morelle, D-Irondequoit, Monroe County, the bill's sponsor, told Gannett's Albany Bureau.

"And it's really complicated efforts to get to 76. I think it's looking less likely as the day wears on."

Without the available supporters, there's just not much chance that the bill gets voted on today, leaving it dead in the water, again, as the legislative session ends. New year, new speaker, same old song and dance.

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Re: NEW YORK MMA bill is dead LOL

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Well, Dana asked what else can go wrong and he now knows.

While I wouldn't mind seeing MMA legal in New York, I remember reading someone asking if it matters since UFC has all their shows look alike so MSG will be no different looking except the roof.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by Dagwood on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:39 am

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/614167560993513472

http://www.global-mma.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:00 am

Can someone explain to me why new york hates mma so much? Wouldnt UFC actually bring money/revenue into the state....

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:21 am

stu3ufc wrote:Can someone explain to me why new york hates mma so much? Wouldnt UFC actually bring money/revenue into the state....

I think the culinary union has been blamed by Dana White and there have been some assemblymen who have talked about MMA like it was 1996 again with the human cockfighting. Good question.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 am

this is like the third or fourth time zuffa has failed in NY... love it lol!
Heretic

Back to top Go down

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 am

Heretic wrote:this is like the third or fourth time zuffa has failed in NY... love it lol!
8th time

"The sheep are still asleep in zuffiaa safe media world, so my mission is to wake them up

and expose them by telling them the truth . Afterward I unplug the brainwashing machine

of their head from zuffia."
- kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:17 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/FightFairMMA/status/614242572802879488

"The sheep are still asleep in zuffiaa safe media world, so my mission is to wake them up

and expose them by telling them the truth . Afterward I unplug the brainwashing machine

of their head from zuffia."
- kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:50 pm

kayneoTheRisingWarrior wrote:
Heretic wrote:this is like the third or fourth time zuffa has failed in NY... love it lol!
8th time

you are correct they have failed so much that I lost count
Heretic

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:56 pm

Rocksoldier84 wrote:
stu3ufc wrote:Can someone explain to me why new york hates mma so much? Wouldnt UFC actually bring money/revenue into the state....

I think the culinary union has been blamed by Dana White and there have been some assemblymen who have talked about MMA like it was 1996 again with the human cockfighting. Good question.

I thought an anti mma statesmen had left the office and they appointed someone new? or something.

UFC should just throw in the damn towel

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Is this because of rivalry with the Fertitta's or something? I find it hard to believe that people find adding armbars and chokes to kickboxing is "human cockfighting". It has to be some kind of behind the scenes political/mafia/banker rivalry.

If it really is because of the supposed barbarism of MMA then that is a message to Zuffa to clean up their presentation of MMA. Get rid of the yelling bald guys, NU Metal and put on some suits. Start talking about real technique too. Not just, "He can stand and bang! He is dangerous everywhere!
Hamilcar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aunt Red on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:05 am

lol

hooray for jew york.

"Help am in Indonesia, lost debit card & cannot contact you via phone line - please help: 1danielfletcher@gmail.com thank you." - Fletch
Aunt Red

Back to top Go down

Post by backdoor to zuffa on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:49 am

Only likable thing about New York.

We are Global-MMA.com.

-backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:51 am

Why is the culinary union against mma?