Scott Coker agrees Ali Act should be applied to mma

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scott Coker agrees Ali Act should be applied to mma

Post by fka on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/11/9125603/ufc-mma-bellator-scott-coker-interview-ali-act

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott Coker agrees Ali Act should be applied to mma

Post by fka on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:02 am

I asked the UFC, Bellator MMA, and World Series of Fighting if they would comment on the potential expansion of the Ali Act to MMA. While no one from either the UFC or WSOF responded to my query, Scott Coker, the president of Bellator MMA, did.

"I think it's a pretty good idea," Coker's statement read. "But like many good ideas, getting it from an idea to actuality will be a long process - it's not going to happen overnight."

"A little bit of history here is in order: The Ali Act, is a federal law that was introduced in 1999 and enacted on May 26, 2000 in response to widespread abuse of professional boxers. The Act amends the 1996 Professional Boxing Safety Act by expanding upon it to protect boxers against exploitation, conflict of interest, enforcement, as well as to provide a mechanism for additional amendments. I am not a lawyer, but I don't think the ABC has the authority to expand the Ali Act to MMA, it would require an actual amendment from Congress. At one time, a few years back, Senator John McCain introduced a bill to amend the Ali Act to include MMA, however, some strong lobbying efforts (by someone) managed to stall that process and I believe it was abandoned. But hey, if all of the planets aligned and there was a concerted effort to change things, I think I would be in favor of it - in fact, I think they should call it the Randy Couture Act."

Coker's statement included the reminder that in the past the UFC has not been very receptive to the idea of boxing legislation being extended to MMA. A few years ago they even retained the firm Brownstein Hyatt Faber Schreck after Sen. John McCain introduced the Professional Boxing Amendment to to lobby on Capital Hill to make sure "a member of Congress ... didn't offer an amendment that would unjustifiably regulate mixed martial arts."

I asked Rob Maysey for a statement but he declined. He did direct me to a written statement on the MMAFA Facebook page which expanded on what he said at the ABC convention.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:49 am

So the UFC was actively fighting the inclusion of Mma into the Muhammad Ali act? If I understood that right , then that's fucked up. Zuffa always opposing and attacking anything they can't totally control.

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.

Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:57 am

fka wrote: I think I would be in favor of it - in fact, I think they should call it the Randy Couture Act."

Haha! I would would call it The Fedor Act!

Hamilcar

Back to top Go down

Post by CODELMJVG on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 am

Longtime Fan wrote:So the UFC was actively fighting the inclusion of Mma into the Muhammad Ali act? If I understood that right , then that's fucked up. Zuffa always opposing and attacking anything they can't totally control.

Like WAMMA.

CODELMJVG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:38 am

Don't you just love how people in the UFC are fine having their shows look like boxing and have no problem using the boxing scoring system yet they don't want boxing legislation in MMA? Makes sense.

It will be interesting to see the UFC's influence since Harry Reid is retiring in 2017 which means the UFC will not have the minority/majority leader of the US Senate in their back pocket.

Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by Nf526 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:30 am

How can you not love scott Coker? The man really genuinely cares about his fighters and the sport in general.

Nf526

Back to top Go down

Post by nhbnews on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:01 pm

From 2012: No Holds Barred: California State Assembly Committee Hearing on Professional Bill of Rights for MMA Fighters

https://archive.org/details/NoHoldsBarredCaliforniaStateAssemblyCommitteeHearingOnProfessional

nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media

http://eddiegoldman.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum