Ian "uncle creepy" McCall: our sport sucks as far as finances, fighters need a second job

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ian "uncle creepy" McCall: our sport sucks as far as finances, fighters need a second job

Post by Longtime Fan on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:44 pm

UFC star Ian McCall appears to be a heading towards a shocking early retirement. The fighter is contemplating hanging up his gloves early following a great deal of money flow from his marijuana business.

“Uncle Creepy” has truly lived up to his reputation. The fighter is apparently pocketing big money as co-manager of a marijuana dispensary in California. Apparently, McCall is earning so much that he will not need to fight in order to meet the luxurious whims of his life.

Talking to MMA Junkie McCall made it clear that his exit does not comes as a loss of passion for MMA, but how the sport is in financial ruins. He said:

“Our sport’s in ruin, financially. Our sport sucks. It’s not what it used to be. It’s not what it was five years ago. It’s not even what it is when I first got to the UFC. It’s horrible, as far as finances. So I’ve got to get another job, just like many other fighters. This one could take me away from MMA. If I make enough money to where I don’t have to fight, then fuck it, I’m not going to fight. I want to fight. Fighting’s my passion. I’m still going to fight because I love it, but if I’m making half a million dollars a year — one million dollars a year, whatever — why would I fight? Why wouldn’t I just train and be a martial artist at my gym and train other fighters? It’s fun to fight on TV, and it’s fun to fight for the UFC, but they’re just so corporate. It’s just such big business now that it’s not fun, having to deal with all the other shit. We have to jump through all these hoops to do all this shit, and yet, we don’t make any money. If you paid me a couple of million dollars a year, I’ll fucking do whatever you want. If I was making MLB money or NBA money, okay, sure, I’ll be your whipping boy. But you’re going to enforce all these laws on me and not pay me anything? That’s bullshit. I’m not blaming the UFC or (UFC President) Dana (White). It’s just how the sport evolved. It evolved like a big, big sport, yet we don’t make that kind of money.”

McCall seems to be rolling in money already since he hasn’t fought since his loss to John Lineker back in January. However, McCall isn’t absolutely confident his business will bloom next year.

Therefore, calling early quits won’t be advisable. This logic will keep our “Uncle Creepy” inside the octagon for a while longer.

It's sad when your employees need to go public and state their discontent about fighter pay. This same article is up on sherdog and is titled positively mentioning him relying on marihuana sales but we all know that the real headline here has more to do with ufc's malpractices and mistreatment of its fighters.

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.
Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Re: Ian "uncle creepy" McCall: our sport sucks as far as finances, fighters need a second job

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:11 pm

I hope the cage fighting lifestyle crowd are proud.

UFC and ufc jr.(Bellator) are pathetic.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Re: Ian "uncle creepy" McCall: our sport sucks as far as finances, fighters need a second job

Post by westcott123 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Wow even a top ten won't make enough money with the ufc i can imagine what the zombies response will be .You signed the contract you fight in the lamest division you're so and so in this many fights you should be like mccgregor ,yeah one said that and here they say jmma is all pro wrestling .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:28 pm

TeamJohnPerretti wrote:I hope the cage fighting lifestyle crowd are proud.

What the fuck does this have to do with cage fighting and how is Bellator "UFC Jr."? I guess most companies are UFC Jr. because they use a cage. I suppose companies that use a ring make fighters millionaires.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Please stop calling the fighters 'employees'.

They are independent contractors.

That is really something that gets under my skin, fighters are not 'employees'. That is just a ridiculous inaccuracy which is repeated over and over.

It is something which lends an air of paternalism to Zuffa.

And yeah, he's saying what we already know. Good that he is saying it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Rocksoldier84 wrote:

What the fuck does this have to do with cage fighting and how is Bellator "UFC Jr."? I guess most companies are UFC Jr. because they use a cage. I suppose companies that use a ring make fighters millionaires.

Pride seemingly use to pay fighters pretty well.

Bellator is a joke.

Promoting the likes of Kimbo, Ortiz, and Ken Shamrock, while real fighters are being left on the shelf or having their contracts terminated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:25 pm

@nogo

Sorry didn't mean to strike a nerve it's just semantics though isn't it?

I mean technically and in the most general sense of the word I thought the word "employee" is any person that receives work from an "employer", whether it be an independent contract or a permanent one ?

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but that was my understanding and the way I loosely use the word.
Cheers

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.
Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Longtime Fan wrote:@nogo

I mean technically and in the most general sense of the word I thought the word "employee" is any person that receives work from an "employer", whether it be an independent contract or a permanent one ?

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but that was my understanding and the way I loosely use the word.
Cheers

I believe you are wrong, technically. At least in the colloquial sense; employee is a regular employee, whereas an independent contractor is someone who does work on a non-regular basis.

That really is a pet peeve of mine, when it comes to MMA/UFC. Many shitty writers (are there any non-shitty writers who write about UFC? I don't think so) write about 'employees' and 'bosses' (i.e. Dana White).

It is inaccurate, and bullshit.

Please don't perpetuate it.

They are not employees, and Dana White is not their boss.

They are technically independent contractors, and Dana White is a promoter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:13 am

Longtime Fan wrote:@nogo

Cheers

It is not semantics.  This is one of the big issues with the UFC and will certainly come up during the lawsuit hearings.  
Zuffa maintains, in writing, that all fighters are independent contractors.  A plumber, for example, is an independent contractor.  However, with all of the "hoops" that Zuffa makes its fighters jump through(as Uncle Creepy put it), Zuffa is treating all of its fighters as employees.  Employees only work for one person, independent contractors, do not.  Employees wear uniforms, independent contractors do not.  Can you tell the electrician who he can do business with or what clothes he should wear?  No, of course not.
Hamilcar

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 am

Hmmm i see.

But some of those descriptions apply to what zuffa has going though like not allowing fighters to work with any other promotion and they force them to wear the reebok uniforms.

I guess my real question is what does zuffa have to win by declaring the fighters its employees? Is there some kind of benefit to that?

Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:37 am

Longtime Fan wrote:Hmmm i see.

But some of those descriptions apply to what zuffa has going though like not allowing fighters to work with any other promotion and they force them to wear the reebok uniforms.

I guess my real question is what does zuffa have to win by declaring the fighters its employees? Is there some kind of benefit to that?

I don't know Zuffa's agenda here; I tend to see it as lazy/ignorant writing, presented by idiots (not a jab at you, a jab at people who write for websites and describe fighters as 'employees', which they are not).

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:47 am

nodogoshi wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:

Pride seemingly use to pay fighters pretty well.

Bellator is a joke.

Promoting the likes of Kimbo, Ortiz, and Ken Shamrock, while real fighters are being left on the shelf or having their contracts terminated.

Pride promoted guys like Zulu brah.
InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum