Cro Cop withdraws from fight with Hamilton and announces retirement

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cro Cop withdraws from fight with Hamilton and announces retirement

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:01 am

Mirko Cro Cop has been forced out of his co-main event bout with Anthony Hamilton at UFC Fight Night 79 in Seoul, South Korea later this month.

Cro Cop confirmed the news on his Facebook page on Monday evening.

"I tried to save my shoulder injury and repair in all possible ways. Daily therapies, injections of blood plasma and various cocktails of drugs," he said, regarding the injury (all quotes are rough translations). "[Because of] daily training, the injury only worsened. Part of my muscle snapped, my shoulder has a lot of fluid, and the greatest danger is that the tendon ruptured, and then again in the operation."

There has been no word as of now whether or not a replacement will be found for Cro Cop.

Cro Cop (31-11-2, 1 NC) recently made a return to the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 64 in Krakow, Poland in a rematch against Gabriel Gonzaga. He got revenge against the Brazilian, picking up a TKO victory.

After getting knocked out by Todd Duffee last year, Hamilton (14-4) got back into the winning column earlier this year with a lackluster decision win over Daniel Omielanczuk. "Freight Train" is 2-2 in the UFC, which also includes a TKO over Ruan Potts and a debut loss to Oleksiy Oliynyk.

It doesn't look like Cro Cop will be rescheduled to fight a new opponent anytime soon. He is heavily considering retiring from the sport he's been apart of for over a decade. He has realized the constant injuries are taking a toll on his body and it's time for him to step away.
Mirko Cro Cop has suffered a shoulder injury during training and has been forced to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 79 bout in Seoul, South Korea.

"I am aware that I have come to the end of my martial arts career. [My body has had] nine operations and has become prone to injury," he stated. "My next fight would have been my eightieth and that is a lot. Especially in these competitions: K-1, Pride, IGF and UFC."

Cro Cop pointed out that he will miss training greatly, but not necessarily the amount he has recently trained while preparing for upcoming competition.

"The biggest problem will be my adaptation to the ‘civilian’ life. No two workouts a day and the eternal journey around the world, which won't be tough on me. I train while I’m alive because it is my life but not at this rate and I am glad in a way.

"This is not an immediate decision because I’m unhappy doing all this, but my final decision. And it is best for me. Sooner or later the time comes when one must think about their health. I had a really long and rich career and I believe I left a deep mark in martial arts.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/10/9703216/mirko-cro-cop-says-hes-out-of-ufc-seoul-hints-at-retirement
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Back to top Go down

Re: Cro Cop withdraws from fight with Hamilton and announces retirement

Post by stu3ufc on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 am

Sad

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:49 am

Nobody else feel this might be a plan for mirko to fight for another org because of the shorts thing as well as knowing that he will be better appreciated in Japan ?

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.
Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:12 am

Who cares?

Mirko is just another Zuffa fighter I have no interest in.

He's made the choice to repeatedly sign with Zuffa. I hope he loses every fight he has.
TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamJohnPerretti on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:15 am

He was a legend but made the choice to tarnish his own legacy.

TeamJohnPerretti

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 pm

He was the first to abandon ship towards zuffa in 2007 so I can't forgive him for that unless he makes up for it by signing with rizin

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.
Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Longtime Fan wrote:Nobody else feel this might be a plan for mirko to fight for another org because of the shorts thing as well as knowing that he will be better appreciated in Japan ?
It is not because he would not pull out of fight(he should win) 12 days before and he has 3 fight contract which he could just finish and then sign Rizin.
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:28 pm

TeamJohnPerretti wrote:Who cares?

Mirko is just another Zuffa fighter I have no interest in.

He's made the choice to repeatedly sign with Zuffa. I hope he loses every fight he has.

I am against UFC like organization and way they do business but why would fighter not go where money is better? So if you where fighter and Bellator gave you 100k and UFC gave you 1M where would you go? In Bellator beause you like them more?
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Agreed

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by backdoor to zuffa on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:34 pm

My problem with Cro Cop is that he lost to fucking Gonzaga, and made Pride look like shit for a bit.

We are Global-MMA.com.

-backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:16 pm

backdoor to zuffa wrote:My problem with Cro Cop is that he lost to fucking Gonzaga, and made Pride look like shit for a bit.

Gonzaga is not a horrible fighter and it doesn't make PRIDE look like shit. Fighters win and lose all the time.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:17 pm

backdoor to zuffa wrote:My problem with Cro Cop is that he lost to fucking Gonzaga, and made Pride look like shit for a bit.

Yeah though he did get gonzaga at the end but for me i will remember cro cop from the k1 and pride days when he was at his best .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Wow, feel the love. You claim to have liked Cro Cop but because he made a decision to go to the UFC then you don't care or forgive him? So then I guess you guys also don't like or have any interest in Big Nog, Wanderlei, Shogun, Henderson, Rampage, Gomi, Overeem, and Hunt, right? By this logic, they're all traitors.

As far as Cro Cop jumping ship. Uh, yeah. Because like it or not, PRIDE was sinking. They lost their TV deal and were falling apart.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Crocop announced his retirement very sad but probly the right thing to do.

I love crocop and all pride fighters its dumb to hate a guy cuz he chose to feed his family.

Thank you mirco for all the memorys pride and otherwise.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:31 pm

fka wrote:Crocop announced his retirement very sad but probly the right thing to do.

I love crocop and all pride fighters its dumb to hate a guy cuz he chose to feed his family.

If he is done, it's probably for the best. Cro Cop has had over 100 fights combining MMA, kickboxing, and amateur boxing, he's 41, and has been doing this for 20 years. Honestly, avenging his loss to Gonzaga is a great way to go out and he likely wasn't going to win a heavyweight championship.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:32 pm

fka wrote:Crocop announced his retirement very sad but probly the right thing to do.

agreed
Heretic

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:32 pm

today is a sad day

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Rocksoldier84 wrote:

If he is done, it's probably for the best. Cro Cop has had over 100 fights combining MMA, kickboxing, and amateur boxing, he's 41, and has been doing this for 20 years. Honestly, avenging his loss to Gonzaga is a great way to go out and he likely wasn't going to win a heavyweight championship.

yes bro! Beautiful way to go out on top

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 pm

I cant believe what I'm reading in this thread..... That Gonzaga head kick would have floored anyone that night. No shame in that loss it was a shocker!

so what if he jumped ship to UFC ...pride fc was fucking done and UFC were finally starting to pay fighters more to fight. Crocop had fought everyone in PRIDE at that point.

Crocop is my favorite even if he looked shit in some fights and lost....

WILD BOYS WILD BOYS!!!!!

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by wekka on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm

There was no shame in the Gonzaga loss.

There was always the possibility as Randleman showed you years before.
wekka

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:46 pm

I remember thinking when I saw that randleman ko live on ppv that randleman was truly a monster and had a chance in the tourney.

Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Dear friends, unfortunately I had to cancel the fight [against Anthony Hamilton at UFC Fight Night “Henderson vs. Alves”]. In the beginning of the preparation I hurt my shoulder, so I couldn't raise [my] hand. I tried to save a shoulder injury and repair in all possible ways: daily therapy, injections of blood plasma and various cocktails of drugs but it didn't work out. The only cure would be a break of two to three weeks, and that I could not afford in the midst of final preparations. By daily trainings the injury got worse. Part of the muscle is snapped, the shoulder is filled with a lot of fluids, and the great danger is that tendon ruptures and then go to operation again.

“I don't need that, especially at my age,” said Filipovic, 41. “The next fight would my 80th as a professional and that is a lot, especially in competition: K-1, Pride, IGF, UFC.

“This is not a temporary decision because I was unhappy due to all of that, but it's my final decision and it's best for me. Sooner or later the time comes when a man has to think [of his] health. I had a really long and great career and I believe I left a deep mark in martial arts, in [MMA] and in K-1 so I have no regrets. Thanks to everyone who followed me and supported me, but for me there remains beautiful memories.”

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Crazy how many fighters have retired this year.

quite a few choosing not to fight due to reebok deal also

makes me sad

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:04 pm

stu3ufc wrote:Crazy how many fighters have retired this year.

quite a few choosing not to fight due to reebok deal also

makes me sad

I know some of them are like 26 to 30 this reebok deal has fucked a lot of guys and gals .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:33 pm

I'd love to see the number of how many fighters have retired after the reebok deal.

Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum