ONE is changing mma by getting rid of weight cutting by dehydration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ONE is changing mma by getting rid of weight cutting by dehydration

Post by fka on Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:49 pm

The culture of extreme weight cutting in MMA is arguably the most dangerous aspect of a dangerous sport, and various steps are being take to address it.
Earlier this month, Chinese flyweight Yang Jian Bing died while making weight with ONE Championship. He was just 21. ONE has crafted a tremendous new weight cutting policy in response.
The step is extraordinary. Weigh-cutting via dehydration is now over in the organization. This is a first for professional combat sports, and deserves both praise, and copying.
The weigh-in program was established after thorough discussions and recommendations by ONE Championship's medical and competition team, consisting of:
•Chief Doctor Dr. Warren Wang;
•Chief Medical Advisor Dr. James Okamoto:
•Vice President Mr. Rich Franklin;
•Vice President of Operations & Competition Mr. Matt Hume;
•Global Athlete Services & Competition Director Mr. Richard Auty; and,
•China Athlete Services & Competition Director Mr. Vaughn Anderson.
“ONE Championship has paved the way for MMA in Asia and we have always been at the forefront of innovation for the sport," said ONE CEO Victor Cui. "By banning weight cutting by dehydration, we are leading the way globally for enhanced safety standards for professional MMA athletes. We believe that through the implementation of this new weigh-in program, our fighters will enjoy a safer and healthier life inside and outside of the cage. I invite the other two major global MMA organizations, Bellator and UFC, to follow in our footsteps to protect athletes and to eliminate the process of weight cutting by dehydration."
ONE Vice President and former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin also spoke out.
"Today I'm proud to have been involved with developing the new weigh-in program for ONE athletes," said Franklin. "As a former MMA champion, I've been through the process of weight-cutting by dehydration countless times and I know first-hand how it affects an athlete physically. I personally understand the importance of safety and competing at your very best as a professional MMA athlete and after reviewing the new regulations and policies governing the weigh-in procedures and contracted weight limits, this new program does both for our athletes."
ONE VP Matt Hume, who probably knows more about mixed martial arts than anyone alive, has the last word.
"The safety of our athletes is the top priority of ONE," he said. "After bringing in top medical officials from both the USA and Asia, we believe we have put together the best possible weigh-in program in combat sports. This program will revolutionize the way weigh-ins are conducted around the world and we look forward to the positive outcome it will have on safety standards related to weight-cutting globally."
The new program will commence from January 2016 and will be applied to all athletes competing under the ONE banner.
1. Athletes must submit their current walking weight and daily training weight regularly. Athletes will input and track their daily weight online via a dedicated web portal. Athletes may input data weekly but must include daily weights.
2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class when less than 8 weeks out from an event.
3. During fight week, weights are checked daily. Urine specific gravity will also be checked the day after arrival and 3 hours prior to the event. Athletes must be within their weight class and pass specific gravity hydration tests all week and up to 3 hours before the event. If an athlete falls outside the weight, or fails a test, they are disqualified from the event. Doctors may request additional testing at their discretion.
4. Catch weight bouts are allowed. However, the athlete with the higher weight will not be heavier than 105% of the lighter opponent’s weight.
5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at our discretion.
6. Athletes may petition to change weight classes outside of the 8-week competition zone and must be within their new desired weight at that time. In addition, athletes must pass a specific gravity urine test when their weight is within the limits of the newly petitioned weight class. ONE doctors can request additional testing to determine the amount of weight drop allowed over a specific time.
7. The usage of IVs for the purpose of rehydration will not be allowed.
Overage and limits of weight reduction:
· 3 weeks to event day: Athlete must be within contracted weight class
· 4 weeks: 1.5% bodyweight over max
· 5 weeks: 3%
· 6 weeks: 4.5%
· 7 weeks: 6%
· 8 weeks: +6% max over
(ONE Chief Doctor may approve up to +/- 0.5% maximum error in any weekly weight check)

Upper Limit (Kilograms)

Super Heavyweight: 120.3kg - No upper limit

Heavyweight: 93.1kg - 120.2kg

Light Heavyweight: 84.0kg - 93.0kg

Middleweight: 77.2kg - 83.9kg

Welterweight: 70.4kg - 77.1kg

Lightweight: 65.9kg - 70.3kg

Featherweight: 61.3kg - 65.8kg

Bantamweight: 56.8kg - 61.2kg

Flyweight: 52.3kg - 56.7kg

Strawweight: 47.7kg – 52.2kg

Atomweight: Under 47.6kg

Atomweight class limits Under 47.6kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Atomweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 51.3kg

7 weeks = 51.3kg

6 weeks = 50.5kg

5 weeks = 49.8kg

4 weeks = 49.0kg

3 weeks = 48.3kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = Under 47.6kg

Strawweight class limits 47.7kg – 52.2kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Strawweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 56.2kg

7 weeks = 56.2kg

6 weeks = 55.4kg

5 weeks = 54.6kg

4 weeks = 53.8kg

3 weeks = 53.0kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 47.7kg – 52.2kg

Flyweight class limits 52.3kg - 56.7kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Flyweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 61.0kg

7 weeks = 61.0kg

6 weeks = 60.2kg

5 weeks = 59.3kg

4 weeks = 58.4kg

3 weeks = 57.6kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 52.3kg - 56.7kg

Bantamweight class limits 56.8kg - 61.2kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Bantamweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 65.9kg

7 weeks = 65.9kg

6 weeks = 65.0kg

5 weeks = 64.0kg

4 weeks = 63.0kg

3 weeks = 62.1kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 56.8kg - 61.2kg

Featherweight class limits 61.3 - 65.8kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Featherweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 69.8kg

7 weeks = 69.8kg

6 weeks = 68.8kg

5 weeks = 67.8kg

4 weeks = 66.8kg

3 weeks = 65.8kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 61.3 - 65.8kg

Lightweight class limits 65.9 - 70.3kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Lightweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 74.6kg

7 weeks = 74.6kg

6 weeks = 73.5kg

5 weeks = 72.4kg

4 weeks = 71.4kg

3 weeks = 70.3kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 65.9 - 70.3kg

Welterweight class limits 70.4kg - 77.1kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Welterweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 83.0kg

7 weeks = 83.0kg

6 weeks = 81.8kg

5 weeks = 80.6kg

4 weeks = 79.4kg

3 weeks = 78.3kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 70.4kg - 77.1kg

Middleweight class limits 77.2kg - 83.9kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Middleweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 90.4kg

7 weeks = 90.4kg

6 weeks = 89.0kg

5 weeks = 87.7kg

4 weeks = 86.4kg

3 weeks = 85.2kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 77.2kg - 83.9kg

Light Heavyweight class limits 84.0kg - 93.0kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Light Heavyweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 100.2kg

7 weeks = 100.2kg

6 weeks = 98.7kg

5 weeks = 97.2kg

4 weeks = 95.8kg

3 weeks = 94.4kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 84.0kg - 93.0kg

Heavyweight class limits 93.1kg - 120.2kg

Maximum weight at specified interval to remain in Heavyweight class:

8 weeks and beyond = 129.5kg

7 weeks = 129.5kg

6 weeks = 127.6kg

5 weeks = 125.7kg

4 weeks = 123.8kg

3 weeks = 122.0kg

3 weeks to 3 hours prior to event = 93.1kg - 120.2kg

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ONE is changing mma by getting rid of weight cutting by dehydration

Post by stu3ufc on Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:25 pm

I think this is fucking bullshit just because ONE idiot killed himself cutting weight doesnt mean that they should change the whole system

MMA is one giant gimmick sport.... no standard rules.... it's a spectacle with hand given title shots...more wwe than sport..

what next? banning punches or some stupid shit when another idiot dies in the dog cage?

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:46 pm

This is great news fuck all the faggots who shrivle up to get a size advantage come fight time.

Im all for guys fighting at a healthy or natural weight its better for the sport and more importantly the fighters.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Since the banning of IVs in mma it has made a dangerous situation more so as atheletes continue to push their body's to the point of failure throughout the sport.

Recently i think it was tj waldburger who said in a postfight interview his bodys is still damaged from the cut to a lower division after a recent return to LW.

I don't see how any real mma fan could be against a plan to safen and legitimize the sport further.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:16 pm

I saw the release on their website.

They probably thought they had to take some bold step because of publicity mostly.

Asia is very conservative for the most part. Another incident could kill the entire company.

Reading between the lines, that's what I think it's about.

I think there is a need to regulate weight cutting more, especially when you have inexperienced fighters from backward countries and regions, who don't know what their doing, and probably use some very dangerous and stupid methods.

I seem to remember very clearly Victor Cui strongly berating Luis Santos for missing weight (Ortiz went to the hospital) against Ben Askren, talking about how pissed he was about it, and how unprofessional Santos was. That was like a few months ago.

Now he is changing MMA, because of this epidemic of weight cutting.

Victor Cui is just as slimy as every other promoter.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:19 pm

But then, most of their shows are in Southeast Asia, and dehydration is a very severe danger in that part of the world, due to the high heat and humidity, which is year round in many places. So there is actually some pragmatism in it when you consider that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:46 pm

I think this awesome! Weight cutting has always made zero sense to me. This program that they are implementing is as intrusive as you can get on weight cuts. They have daily weight logs with random, surprise weight checks on the fighters. Everytime I heard people discuss how to regulate weight cutting I never heard anyone suggest surprise weight checks. That is the way to do it, if they can do it. (How do you check on the guy fighting out of Elbonia and the one out of Japanistan at the same time?) I am all for this, whether they can check on the guys all the time or not. As long as they are trying as hard as they can to be as strict as they can.

And please, Victor Cui was responding to Santos violating the ruleset as it stood at the time. It would have been just as unprofessional for Santos walk into the cage without a mouthpiece or with one glove as it was to miss weight AT THAT TIME. If you do not follow the rules, then you are behaving unprofessionaly. Even if Santos somehow thought that he was going to fighting under this new ruleset a month ago, he failed.
And yes, Cui can shame Santos for failing to cut weight (follow the rules) and at the same time feel bad for the guy who died while trying to follow the rules and exceed the spirit of the rule to his advantage. If someone chokes on a mouthpiece and dies it would be a tragedy and I would not blame you if you decided to make new, safer mouthpieces.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Bullshit.

He is a hypocrite.

No need to be his white knight.

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:11 pm

Really hope this catches on in all mma.

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:23 am

By the way, how much weight does Ben Askren cut?

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:20 am

Hamilcar wrote:By the way, how much weight does Ben Askren cut?

who knows but by the look of him i say not that much i say ten to 15 give or take .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:45 am

Hamilcar wrote:By the way, how much weight does Ben Askren cut?

I'm guessing he cuts a bit, but he seems healthy enough at the weight.

In fact, I don't get precisely how this will work in practice, but it seemed to me like sort of multiple weigh-ins on a rather rigid schedule, as opposed to you must be at this weight always (which would be quite absurd, since weights fluctuate). I don't understand whether they will still have weigh ins the night before. It said fighters would weigh in the day after they arrived at the fight location, and once more 3 hours before the event.

It is kind of a same-day weigh in scheme, with lots of monitoring.

When I really think about it, I think one of the main merits of this sort of system, which I said before, is really particular to OneFC, given that they run shows in Southeast Asia.

In that sort of hot, humid climate, dehydration really is a very serious risk. Probably worse still for fighters unaccustomed to the climate.

It actually does, I think, make sense to present a strict stand against dehydration, if you are fighting and cutting in this kind of climate, especially.

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 am

I am for them trying this new system and having the fighters fighting at natural weight.  I like Johan's thoughts on this as another alternative where fighters weigh-in on the day of the fight.

Last edited by CDF47 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by TeepToTheJunk on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:59 am

Fantastic news. These weight cuts are unhealthy. Chuck that shit out, and have them fight at their actual weights.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Hamilcar wrote:I think this awesome!  Weight cutting has always made zero sense to me.  This program that they are implementing is as intrusive as you can get on weight cuts.  They have daily weight logs with random, surprise weight checks on the fighters.  Everytime I heard people discuss how to regulate weight cutting I never heard anyone suggest surprise weight checks.  That is the way to do it, if they can do it.  (How do you check on the guy fighting out of Elbonia and the one out of Japanistan at the same time?)  I am all for this, whether they can check on the guys all the time or not.  As long as they are trying as hard as they can to be as strict as they can.

And please, Victor Cui was responding to Santos violating the ruleset as it stood at the time.  It would have been just as unprofessional for Santos walk into the cage without a mouthpiece or with one glove as it was to miss weight AT THAT TIME.  If you do not follow the rules, then you are behaving unprofessionaly.  Even if Santos somehow thought that he was going to fighting under this new ruleset a month ago, he failed.
And yes, Cui can shame Santos for failing to cut weight (follow the rules) and at the same time feel bad for the guy who died while trying to follow the rules and exceed the spirit of the rule to his advantage.  If someone chokes on a mouthpiece and dies it would be a tragedy and I would not blame you if you decided to make new, safer mouthpieces.

By the way, if I were to rephrase, I think Victor Cui was wrong to denigrate Ortiz at the time, and stated as much. He's doing the right thing now though.

I can understand that he was pissed off at losing his main event. That is very understandable.

I think Ortiz was not well though, and not in a condition to fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by TeepToTheJunk on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Ortiz?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 am

I also want to add that this is still so amazing. ONE is attempting to change the weight cutting culture, Road FC has begun a new point system and Rizin is bringing back JMMA. This is everything we need right now. We don't need the UFC attempting to make MMA as it is the status quo and unchangeable. MMA needs to make changes to be a real, legitimate, professional sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:18 am

TeepToTheJunk wrote:Ortiz?

I'm talking about when Luis Ortiz missed weight for his rematch against Ben Askren, and the fight was consequently cancelled, and Victor Cui bashed him for it. Makes him look a bit of a hypocrite to me. At the time, I also stated I thought he was being inappropriate.

But I can understand that he was pissed off for losing his main event, to be sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Hamilcar wrote:I also want to add that this is still so amazing.  ONE is attempting to change the weight cutting culture, Road FC has begun a new point system and Rizin is bringing back JMMA.  This is everything we need right now.  We don't need the UFC attempting to make MMA as it is the status quo and unchangeable.  MMA needs to make changes to be a real, legitimate, professional sport.

Yeah, some real good stuff from Asian MMA lately.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:28 am

CDF47 wrote:I am for them trying this new system and having the fighters fighting at natural weight.  I like Johan's thoughts on this as another alternative where fighters weigh-in on the day of the fight.

Yeah, it's great someone is taking a step to end this. People don't realize even in america lots of fighters have their bodies filled with steroids and are cutting mad weight, from smaller events to the biggest ones. I'm tired of seeing it everyday in the gym too.

Nobody seemed to be concerned with it for years, which is terrible since lots of these guys will have some serious health issues in the future because of it. I actually knew someone that died during workout from doing this kind of thing too. It took a heavy load on his heart and that was it.

If you want an edge, train smarter and get sharper. Being heavier than your opponent won't save you when you get your chin checked.

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Wolfman wrote:
CDF47 wrote:I am for them trying this new system and having the fighters fighting at natural weight.  I like Johan's thoughts on this as another alternative where fighters weigh-in on the day of the fight.

Yeah, it's great someone is taking a step to end this. People don't realize even in america lots of fighters have their bodies filled with steroids and are cutting mad weight, from smaller events to the biggest ones. I'm tired of seeing it everyday in the gym too.

Nobody seemed to be concerned with it for years, which is terrible since lots of these guys will have some serious health issues in the future because of it. I actually knew someone that died during workout from doing this kind of thing too. It took a heavy load on his heart and that was it.

If you want an edge, train smarter and get sharper. Being heavier than your opponent won't save you when you get your chin checked.

Some real good points. Yeah, cutting weight like this is not real safe. I think changes are needed.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:43 pm

Wolfman wrote:

It was an issue when I use to wrestle as well. I never knew anyone who died. But a few college guys died one year (at least 2) when I was in highschool, and forced rule changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:49 pm

Sorry, Luis Santos. Just got the name wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:16 pm

stu3ufc wrote:I think this is fucking bullshit just because ONE idiot killed himself cutting weight doesnt mean that they should change the whole system

MMA is one giant gimmick sport.... no standard rules.... it's a spectacle with hand given title shots...more wwe than sport..

what next? banning punches or some stupid shit when another idiot dies in the dog cage?

Like kickboxing doesn't have a bunch of different rule sets?
InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum