Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

Post by westcott123 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:45 pm

stu3ufc wrote:
Longtime Fan wrote:When we look back on wands career in the future, an asterisk should be placed next to all his ufc fights since we had to go through an mma dark era due to exclusion of certain strikes from the mma timeline

I think WAND had a successful UFC career. He did join UFC a little past his prime but he did have some amazing wins and was unlucky with some judges decisions.

still i can't believe he lost to chris leben 2004 wand would of smashed him .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:45 pm

If jmma hadn't taken such a hit and had wand fought his whole career in pride under those rules he wouldn't have ruined his record so much. Same as shogun. These guys' main strategy was to overwhelm opponents with their hyper Muay Thai, which was one of the best for fast connecting and chaining up of techniques. From standup to floor , you were always in great danger with them.

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.
Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by westcott123 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Longtime Fan wrote:If jmma hadn't taken such a hit and had wand fought his whole career in pride under those rules he wouldn't have ruined his record so much. Same as shogun. These guys' main strategy was to overwhelm opponents with their hyper Muay Thai, which was one of the best for fast connecting and chaining up of techniques. From standup to floor , you were always in great danger with them.
yeah i agree wand and shogun style is made for pride style rule set though i wonder it would of been like if pride didn't shut down .
westcott123

Back to top Go down

Post by Offense_Wins_Fights on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Wanderlei vs Tyrone Spong

Offense_Wins_Fights

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:09 pm

It looks like my phone calls made a difference, lol.

(I use to call Zuffa, in a trolling fashion, asking them to release Wanderlei Silva. You can find their number on Google. I posted about it on here a few times.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Audax on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:17 pm

nodogoshi wrote:It looks like my phone calls made a difference, lol.

(I use to call Zuffa, in a trolling fashion, asking them to release Wanderlei Silva. You can find their number on Google. I posted about it on here a few times.)

Audax
G-MMA Twitter & Moderator

http://aeck.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heretic on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Good to see Wand free but at 39 years old he could stay retired for good
Heretic

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 am

You should be sure to call and thank them now.
Hamilcar

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:04 am

Hamilcar wrote:

You should be sure to call and thank them now.

Nah, fuck em.

Back to top Go down

Post by God of Thunder on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 am

cheers
God of Thunder
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:22 am

Good that Wanderlei is out of a contract but I don't want him fighting anymore. He has nothing left to prove, he is way past his prime, and is only good as a nostalgia act. I want Rizin to succeed but they need to spend their money and resources on the stars of the future not PRIDE stars whose prime was more than a decade ago. Instead of Wanderlei or Sakuraba, they need to find their successors.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by God of Thunder on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:25 am

Rocksoldier84 wrote:Good that Wanderlei is out of a contract but I don't want him fighting anymore. He has nothing left to prove, he is way past his prime, and is only good as a nostalgia act. I want Rizin to succeed but they need to spend their money and resources on the stars of the future not PRIDE stars whose prime was more than a decade ago. Instead of Wanderlei or Sakuraba, they need to find their successors.
A one or two fight deal against fighters on his level could be good to gain interest for Rizin. Kinda like the Fedor situation.
God of Thunder
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:29 am

Golden Age wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:Good that Wanderlei is out of a contract but I don't want him fighting anymore. He has nothing left to prove, he is way past his prime, and is only good as a nostalgia act. I want Rizin to succeed but they need to spend their money and resources on the stars of the future not PRIDE stars whose prime was more than a decade ago. Instead of Wanderlei or Sakuraba, they need to find their successors.
A one or two fight deal against fighters on his level could be good to gain interest for Rizin. Kinda like the Fedor situation.

True but my fear is that they don't run monthly shows and they're coming off two that had Fedor, Sapp, Sakuraba, Aoki, Kohsaka, and Thompson. So, while it's nice for interest, you don't want too many, too much, too soon or you look like you're desperately trying to recreate the past. Wanderlei would be great in an ambassador role though.
Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizin=PRIDEFC on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 am

Sakakibara told in one interview that comeback of Wand in Japan would be bigger than Fedor comeback so Wand is fighting in April for Rizin 100%  I think vs Arona or Baroni
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:11 pm

nhbnews wrote:Nevada's 'lifetime' ban won't stand up in court. They can suspend him for the life of his fighter's license, and then decide not to re-license him. But then another jurisdiction in the ABC could license him. Happened with boxer Joe Mesi.

Real good input Eddie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Offense_Wins_Fights wrote:Wanderlei vs Tyrone Spong

Great call. That would be an entertaining fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Sun May 01, 2016 9:34 am

Ok so now that we know more who do you guus think he should fight first? I would say Jung Hwan Cha from Road in Rizin.

Don't worry I am still here lurking!
InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum