Forbes article:Cokers leadership bringing Bellator into its own

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forbes article:Cokers leadership bringing Bellator into its own

Post by fka on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:56 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattconnolly/2016/02/26/scott-cokers-leadership-collaboration-with-spike-tv-allowing-bellator-mma-to-come-into-its-own/#4a7d71b84869

Credit: Bellator PR

There are several departments responsible for these developments, but the driving force behind Bellator’s push into public consciousness has been the appointment of longtime MMA promoter Scott Coker as president of the fledgling organization.

JPMorgan ChaseVoice
From Sea Turtles To Skills Training: Local Youth Gain Job Experience At Shedd
In its early years, the company floundered under Bjorn Rebney. The former sports agent was stubborn to abandon an unsustainable tournament format, and did not always see eye to eye with the leadership of his partner network, Spike TV.

Since taking over for Rebney in June 2014, Coker has sparked a cultural shift between Bellator and Spike that has been felt from the top down.

“When he came in, he took a look at the organization and was like: ‘Why aren’t we working with Spike?’” Kevin Kay, Spike TV President, said of Coker. ‘“They have all these digital resources, they have all these marketing people. Why aren’t my people talking to their people? What’s going on here? Let’s make ourselves available to these resources. Let’s partner.’”

Recommended by Forbes
MOST POPULAR Photos: Top College In Every State
Bellator 149: Justin Wren Using MMA Sponsor, Bonus Money To Help Pygmies Build...
Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz: UFC 196, 200 Payouts Could Rise After Rafael dos...
Alistair Overeem And Other Ranked UFC Fighters Most Likely To Follow Benson...
Viacom's Purchase Of Bellator Fighting Should Make MMA Promotion Stronger
MOST POPULAR Photos: The World’s Highest-Paid Actors 2015
TRENDING ON LINKEDIN Ten Things Never To Do On LinkedIn
MOST POPULAR Photos: Top College In Every State
Bellator 149: Justin Wren Using MMA Sponsor, Bonus Money To Help Pygmies Build...

Coker’s open approach and unassuming demeanor are not often seen in the fight business, nor expected from someone in his position of power. But these unique traits have been essential in resetting a fruitful relationship between network and promotion.

“Scott loves to really engage people, make it a more democratic process, which is a breath of fresh air,” Jason Jordan, Viacom VP and Bellator Chief Operating Officer, said.

Credit: Bellator PR

“He really defers to Spike in what our core competencies are,” Frank Tanki, Spike TV’s Executive VP of Brand Marketing and Creative, said. “He’s very collaborative in that way — it really sets a tone for how we work with Bellator. One can’t succeed without the other.”

Their joint success is most evident in ratings reports. Bellator’s last major event, featuring MMA greats Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock at the Toyota Center in Houston, peaked at 2.9 million viewers, soundly topping its previous record of 2.3 million set in June. To help put that figure into context, UFC on Fox Sports 1 events typically track around 1-2 million.

But Bellator is not in the business of comparing itself to its more widely known MMA counterpart.

“It’s not about us versus them or competing with anyone else directly,” Jordan said. “It’s about: Where can we play in the world of combat sports where needs are not being met?”

Putting on fights purely for entertainment, unlike a more traditional sports property, is the main arena where Coker has cashed in. While Bellator has rightfully drawn its share of critics for centering Bellator 149 around two men well past their prime, as well as a grudge match that ended with a serious medial scare, one cannot argue against the headliners’ mainstream appeal.

“These fights are a case-by-case basis,” Coker said before the event. “But if a legend fight comes up, or if a fun fight comes up that makes sense, and the fans want to see it, then we’re going to do it. We’re not going to be afraid to do those fights.”

“(Scott) is willing to take some risks,” Tanki said. “Not everything we do is perfectly well-received, but he wants to create events that you’re going to talk about.”

Increased brand recognition, coupled with Coker’s preexisting relationships within MMA circles, have allowed the Bellator boss to reel in several marquee free agents — none bigger than former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, who signed with the promotion on Feb. 1.

Credit: AP/Gregory Payan

“The acquisition of Benson Henderson — it’s a big moment for Bellator,” Kay said. “Josh Thomson, Phil Davis, all these guys that are coming over … that’s exciting to see that happen.”

While it will be some time before world-class fighters like Henderson, Thomson and Davis become the norm, company execs are confident in Coker’s abilities as a “star identifier” and “star builder,” as he terms it.

As president of Strikeforce, the UFC’s last viable competitor, Coker helped find and develop several current/former UFC champions including Daniel Cormier, Luke Rockhold and Ronda Rousey. While prospecting for blue-chip MMA talent has become increasingly difficult with several smaller promotions vying for young talent, Coker’s resume supports the notion that Bellator’s competition level will start to creep closer to its production value.

“Over time, our homegrown talent becomes the mainstream talent,” Jordan said. “They’re the guys that are putting butts in the seats. You really hit your stride when those guys become household names.”

In the meantime, Coker and co. will continue to follow a formula that has led to steady growth across all key performance indicators since he came aboard. That includes lucrative deals with companies both at home and overseas, including 2016 events in the UK and Italy, as well as contract renewals with major sponsors like Miller Lite and Dave & Busters.

“I think that everyone is really starting to say: This is something that I want to be a part of,” Jon Slusser, Head of Spike TV Sports and Specials, said. “In just a short period of time, we’ve gone from a product that people sell to a product that people want.”

More important, however, is that Bellator’s model fully recognizes two partners that are not always treated as such: athletes and fans.

“Our fighters we look at as partners, in a way, because we’re all trying to achieve the same goal,” Coker said.

“Our mantra is really: Let’s pull the curtain back; let’s provide fans access,” Jordan said. “We really want to position ourselves as an organization that listens to fans, that listens to fighters, and we all collectively grow together.”

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Forbes article:Cokers leadership bringing Bellator into its own

Post by fka on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:57 pm

War Bellator!!!!

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinosis on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:22 pm

I love what they are doing. I never watched Bellator before but now I watch it from time to time when they have big names on there. I prefer JMMA but as far as American MMA goes, Bellator is doing great and putting on fights I get excited about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Longtime Fan on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:32 pm

That's the right mentality to have as an mma Promotor , hopefully bellator will turn into strike force without selling it when it peaks though.

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.
Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:53 pm

That's what i've been saying since day 1.....he's uding his strikeforce model to build Bellator.....the addition of the new kickboxing org reinforced that imo.

Hes biding his time picking up good names when he can and still has to use freaks and legends until the homegrown talent gets recognized like in strikeforce.

Coker genuinely cares about fighters and fans....and a fighters union,bringing ali act to mma,copromotion,and viacom has more money then zuffa bro....they aint sellin out....they got funds to just hang around until UFC kills itself.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I really like what Coker is doing.  Bellator 2.0 under Coker is a nice upgrade.  He helped bring a co-promoted JMMA RIZIN card to Spike TV with Bellator fighters on it.  He did similar with SF and DREAM.  Cool that he is getting a kickboxing org to boot.   Really good signings as well and the fighters and commentators are happy.  Really good improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Sat May 07, 2016 9:14 am

CDF47 wrote:I really like what Coker is doing.  Bellator 2.0 under Coker is a nice upgrade.  He helped bring a co-promoted JMMA RIZIN card to Spike TV with Bellator fighters on it.  He did similar with SF and DREAM.  Cool that he is getting a kickboxing org to boot.   Really good signings as well and the fighters and commentators are happy.  Really good improvements.

Definitely, Coker is doing great. The people who whine about him "relying a freakshows" are usually the same people who mindless Zuffa loyalists.

InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat May 07, 2016 11:07 am

InfinityLens wrote:
CDF47 wrote:I really like what Coker is doing.  Bellator 2.0 under Coker is a nice upgrade.  He helped bring a co-promoted JMMA RIZIN card to Spike TV with Bellator fighters on it.  He did similar with SF and DREAM.  Cool that he is getting a kickboxing org to boot.   Really good signings as well and the fighters and commentators are happy.  Really good improvements.

Definitely, Coker is doing great. The people who whine about him "relying a freakshows" are usually the same people who mindless Zuffa loyalists.

Yeah, I don't mind the occasional freakshow fights or legends fights. Many of them are actually entertaining. PRIDE had them as well and they are a draw for attendance and television.

Just need to keep them safe, especially with fighters like Dada fighting, who has a ton of heart but nearly died. The freakshow fights have to be with really sound athletes because this sport is as tough as they come.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Did you hear dada says his water backstage was tainted....?

He says he felt fine until he drank water backstage and got ill...

What a bum.....you showed up out of shape abd nearly died because you cut off electrolytes way too soon in camp trying to cut weight.

You went to the hispital where renal failure was detected as the root of his illness.

No foulplay was involved...

Guy acts like ppl were betting on that fight....when in reality much like the shamrock kimbo fight most betting sources didn't offer any lines.

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat May 07, 2016 1:55 pm

fka wrote:Did you hear dada says his water backstage was tainted....?

He says he felt fine until he drank water backstage and got ill...

What a bum.....you showed up out of shape abd nearly died because you cut off electrolytes way too soon in camp trying to cut weight.

You went to the hispital where renal failure was detected as the root of his illness.

No foulplay was involved...

Guy acts like ppl were betting on that fight....when in reality much like the shamrock kimbo fight most betting sources didn't offer any lines.

I hadn't heard that one.  It definitely seems like his weight cutting is the reason for his medical problems.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Sat May 07, 2016 3:27 pm

a home. We're pure. We are the new evolution of extreme reality because once we put the gloves on, we on.

Now, we have all these politics in boxing now it's starting to trickle down in MMA. They asked Kimbo, "So what about Dada 5000?" And he had the balls to say he broke my jaw. When? Where? He said he broke my ribs. When? Where? He said he knocked the eye out of my socket. Come on, now you want to fabricate? He was on steroids because he was embarrassed of his performance. You [Kimbo Slice] got the 10-year experience, the 10-year skills, and you got all these extra things going for you. Dada 5000 hasn't been inside the ring since 2011. He has ring rust. He really is not a fighter; he's a promoter. And this guy took you all the way to the third round. So how can this guy [Kimbo Slice] say anything?

On paper, I shouldn't have lasted 30 seconds. The world is mad because they thought that Kimbo was going in there and knock me out, you know what I'm saying. They didn't understand the chief that lives within me. If what happened during that fight, did not happen, I would have knocked him out hands down. Hands down it would have been over.

I just can't wait till I'm clear to really elaborate and shock the world on what it is that happened to me. It's bad because it put a bad taste in my mouth to the point that I could care less to ever fight MMA again. And this type of stuff like this is going to happen, then what's going to protect the fighters? And it wasn't like I'm a no name. I'm a star in my own right. I got the No. 1 documentary out on Netflix till this day. Now we're filming Dog Fights Round 2. I won two Emmys on NBC. I broke records on ESPN four times. ESPN 360, ESPN magazine, ESPN radio, Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, Telemundo, Univision, you know what I'm saying. EA Sports, I've done everything.

MR: So, what's next for you?

DADA 5000: I'm extremely lucky to be sitting here with you, giving you this interview. My blood pressure was 40 over 30. I was dead. The doctor told me, "Listen, 'I've been in this business 20 plus years as a doctor, and I've never seen numbers as bad as yours. I've seen bad, and they're not here to tell the story. Your numbers were far much worse than theirs and you're still alive. It seems what you need to do is find a place, a quiet place, get on your knees and pray because you are extremely, extremely lucky." Listen, when my kidneys went out, I had two heart attacks that triggered a lot of things inside my body. But that was induced. That was not natural. That's as much as I can say about that. That was induced. That was not natural.

MR: What do you think happened?

DADA 5000: If I was going to have kidney failure, if I was going to have a heart attack, I would have had it in practice. When I was doing 10-minute rounds in sparring and grappling, everybody would get a break except me. I was in shape. A lot of people may think I was not in shape. But no, being in shape had nothing to do with it. This sh*t was bigger than being in or out of shape. These guys were looking to take me out at all costs. The inflammation that I'm going to submit is documented. Don't take my word for it. It's documented. And when Kimbo Slice feels like sh*t or anybody that's involved, they're going to know Dada 5000 took this seriously. They try to say, "Hey, he took the fight too soon. He cut weight too fast." You know, man. I was cleared by all the medical doctors. Don't try to throw that out there as scapegoat because I don't need it. I was cleared and ready to fight. I felt great up until the time I started taking and drinking that water out of the back dressing room. I'm telling you guys this.

MR: Who do you think it was? Kimbo's people?

DADA 5000: If it is, we're going to find out. But the truth of the matter is that I felt horrible after I started drinking that water. This is bigger than me. There is a lot of money on the line; millions and millions of dollars were on the betting line. I don't know who it could have been, but I know it was not natural...

You guys want to hurt me over a fight? Just train, man, and come on and beat me hands down. If you want to beat me, you have to cheat me. I didn't sign up for that. And now everybody wants to condone this and give this guy another fight. Where's the punishment in that? They said three months, but guess what, he was fighting three or four months apart anyway, so he was going to be on his down time anyway. So that's not going to affect him.

What a load of shit dada LMFAO

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat May 07, 2016 6:17 pm

^He cut a lot of weight going into that fight and then he dehydrated himself before the fight.  That's why I think he wasn't feeling good before the fight, plus the nerves going in doesn't help.  Then he had renal failure after the dehydration and fight as well, seems most likely.  A fighter died recently from ONE FC after a weight cut.  Weight cutting before a fight is dangerous, especially to the extent Dada had to do it.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Sun May 08, 2016 12:30 pm

And the fact he was following wrong advice cutting out electrolytes way too early....

Funny thing is he actually is delusional enough to bekieve his fight mattered enough to be tampered with.

Like i mentioned before most betting sites didnt put lines out for this fight as it was a joke lol.

Dada thinks rich guys are putting hits out on him cuz they thought hed lose them millions....

What an idiot...lmfao dada diet of rootbeer and waffles most likely poisoned him lol....not some mysterious water from the back.

BELLATOR #1
fka

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sun May 08, 2016 2:31 pm

fka wrote:And the fact he was following wrong advice cutting out electrolytes way too early....

Funny thing is he actually is delusional enough to bekieve his fight mattered enough to be tampered with.

Like i mentioned before most betting sites didnt put lines out for this fight as it was a joke lol.

Dada thinks rich guys are putting hits out on him cuz they thought hed lose them millions....

What an idiot...lmfao dada diet of rootbeer and waffles most likely poisoned him lol....not some mysterious water from the back.

That's a crazy story. Didn't realize he said all that.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 pm

Lol I feel so bad laughing about this. Well he is keeping himself in the news I guess! Have Cedric James call him out on BS so they can set up a rematch (winner of that can have a Kimbo match).
InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum