Fedor's rocky comeback road

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fedor's rocky comeback road

Post by Longtime Fan on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Since retirement Fedor has said he wanted a couple of warmup fights, yesterday's being the second one. He knows himself well, he knows his body and its limitations.

The first one vs singh went according to plan. He blitzkrieg'd him and finished him on the ground with gnp.

Fast forward to his second WARM UP fight. He went in with the same strategy trying to overwhelm Fabio but his opponent stayed composed and knew how to handle the initial barrage. Fedor went on to barely win it after getting knocked down but he showed heart.

Now what ahead for Fedor in the future. He will probably take 3-4 months before even entertaining signing a new fight contract, with what promotion we don't know.

What we do know are the things Fedor needs to work on in order to be successful.

What in your opinion does he need to incorporate into his gameplans from now on?

Where does he need to train?

Does he need one more warm up fight before facing top ten hw comp?

Who does he need to sign for?

"Even as he dished out massive punishment, Fedor seemed so calm and natural that it was scary. It reminded me of movies you see, how they portray serial killers doing terrible things and thinking nothing of it. Fighting was clearly Fedor’s calling." - Jeff Sherwood on Fedor.

Longtime Fan

Back to top Go down

Re: Fedor's rocky comeback road

Post by nodogoshi on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:15 pm

That wasn't a warm up fight yesterday. It was a fight fight. It was a big step up in competition and the best fighter he's fought since Bigfoot. The reason the combeback is rocky is that Fedor is not taking an easy path. He is taking a difficult path. The reason fighters usually take an easier path is clear. Fedor was almost knocked out in the first round, and that would have cost millions of dollars to everyone involved with Fedor's comeback.

That's why you have shit like Deontay Wilder going 34-0 with 34 KOs against absolute bums before once fighting a live opponent.

Fedor is taking a hard road because that's his approach. Just like the oldschool Russian training. Fedor isn't about shortcuts.

Also, at the end of the day, whether Fedor is right or wrong in his approaches to fighting and training, nobody has any right to criticize. The simple reason is that it's his career and it's his prerogative to approach things as he sees fit. Nobody can tell Fedor what the proper approach is. Only Fedor knows.

A final thing, keep in mind that the Dutch kickboxing coach that Kinosis mentioned in another thread missed out on the opportunity to profit through coaching Fedor. He's also a business man. Of course he wants to train Fedor, he can stand to pocket a lot of cash by doing so.

nodogoshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinosis on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:33 pm

^The Dutch Kickboxing coach made Fedor look much better, period. He cares about Fedor and wants the best for him. Regardless of money or not, he gives Fedor better training than he gets in Russia training with his students.

Even if Fedor stayed in Russia but brought in Minakov again it would have made a huge difference I think. Even if he had used the gameplan he used on Jaideep it would have been a totally different fight. Just take Maldonado down after the first flurry didn't work.

Kinosis

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Kinosis wrote:^The Dutch Kickboxing coach made Fedor look much better, period.  He cares about Fedor and wants the best for him.  Regardless of money or not, he gives Fedor better training than he gets in Russia training with his students.  

Even if Fedor stayed in Russia but brought in Minakov again it would have made a huge difference I think.  Even if he had used the gameplan he used on Jaideep it would have been a totally different fight.  Just take Maldonado down after the first flurry didn't work.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but also it's impossible to say that you're right, all the same. There could have been circumstances which prevented Fedor from traveling for his camp, for example. As for his students and his training in Russia, I believe he's trying to establish his school and that's one of his main priorities. It's probably true that he won't be able to put 100% into fighting while also working on establishing his school, but that's what he is up to.

I have no doubt that the Dutch kickboxing coach cares deeply for Fedor, as any good trainer should their charge. If he didn't care deeply about Fedor, they probably wouldn't have a very productive relationship.

I certainly understand that Fedor has benefited a lot from his forays in Holland. Holland is after all the Mecca of heavyweight professional kickboxing (there aren't many big men in Thailand). I think his fight with Crocop is the quintessential instance of that.

Back in the day, I think fighting was Fedor's entire focus. Now he has a lot of other things going on. It makes it harder to have camps abroad. I have a feeling his school is his major obligation right now.

nodogoshi

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:20 pm

In his next fight, I'd like to see Fedor attack his opponents weaknesses; take down the boxer and KO the grappler.

I'd like to see him train with the best Russian fight team with top Russian fighters and train harder and smarter than ever.

I'd still like to see the avenge fights regardless of which org. they are in. Other than that, Blagoy, Lesnar, Kharitonov, Minakov, Fabio II,..., are all very interesting fights.

CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinosis on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:54 pm

^Yeah, there are a lot of interesting fights for him. I agree about attacking his opponents legs. His kicks on Monson were brutal. It was interesting seeing Fedor throw in a few new techniques this fight...lead high kick, flying knee. He didn't use them until after the first round, but his low kicks worked well. Perhaps he should have used those after the first flurry once that didn't work, if he just really wanted to keep it standing.

He did say he would evaluate his problems in this fight so hopefully he will be improved for future battles. Just as a 40 year old I don't want to see him taking that kind of damage every fight and lose his chin like happened to Liddell and others.

Kinosis

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Kinosis wrote:^Yeah, there are a lot of interesting fights for him.  I agree about attacking his opponents legs.  His kicks on Monson were brutal.  It was interesting seeing Fedor throw in a few new techniques this fight...lead high kick, flying knee.  He didn't use them until after the first round, but his low kicks worked well.  Perhaps he should have used those after the first flurry once that didn't work, if he just really wanted to keep it standing.

He did say he would evaluate his problems in this fight so hopefully he will be improved for future battles.  Just as a 40 year old I don't want to see him taking that kind of damage every fight and lose his chin like happened to Liddell and others.

The kickboxing Fedor techniques were pretty cool. Some new techniques.

Yeah, hopefully he doesn't take anymore beatings like that in his future fights.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:28 pm

fedor needs to use his strengths and use gamplans

there is nothing wrong with him physically. yeah sure he isnt in his prime but he's still very able

he just fought stupid vs maldonaldo

fedor had a better gameplan against jeff monson

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:43 pm

stu3ufc wrote:fedor needs to use his strengths and use gamplans

there is nothing wrong with him physically. yeah sure he isnt in his prime but he's still very able

he just fought stupid vs maldonaldo

fedor had a better gameplan against jeff monson

I agree that the game plan was poor for this fight.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:31 pm

I want to see Fedor v Bedorf next.

InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum