What will Cyborg Santos spend all that unwanted Gofundme money on?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What will Cyborg Santos spend all that unwanted Gofundme money on?

Post by fka on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:43 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/07/after-skull-injury-whats-cyborg-going-to-do-with-all-that-gofundme-money-he-didnt-want
As of this morning, fight fans and other supporters had raised more than $24,000 as part of a GoFundMe fundraiser that Evangelista Santos never wanted.

This past week at Bellator 158 in London, Michael Page (11-0 MMA, 7-0 BMMA) tagged Santos (21-18 MMA, 1-2 BMMA) with a flying knee flush to the forehead (via Twitter):

The end result for “Cyborg,” a Brazilian vet who made his pro debut nearly 19 years ago, was a second-round knockout loss, a dented forehead and cracked skull, viral-video status (see the video above), and a GoFundMe fundraiser – set up his ex-wife and current Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino – that he said he didn’t want or need.

Bellator President Scott Coker told MMAjunkie that the organization will pay all of Santos’ medical bills – and give him his win bonus despite the Spike-televised loss. Earlier this week “Cyborg” said his ex-wife is “crazy” for concerning so many people and starting the GoFundMe effort.

“People exaggerate,” he said on Monday. “I’m fine. I’m at my hotel. I’m feeling fine. I chose not to go to the hospital (in London). I opted to have my surgery in Houston. I’m fine. Nothing happened. I wasn’t knocked out. I only felt the pain from the fracture. At no time did I have any symptoms like convulsions or dizziness. It wasn’t a knockout. It was a fracture. It didn’t affect my brain. Everything is OK. People are crazy. I don’t need anything. At no time did Bellator refuse to help me.”

Michael Page and Evangelista Santos

So, what’s the plan for all that money then? Santos, who said he has no plans to retire, could certainly use the funds to aid his training and recovery. Instead, though, he wants to fulfill a dream that benefits others.

“When I was 11 years old, I started shining shoes to help support my family,” the 38-year-old said. “I had six siblings. My father worked the land, and my mother was housekeeper. I would come home from school at 11 a.m. and stayed out in the streets until 10 p.m.

“This time of my life had a tremendous impact on me, as I started attending an institute called Casa do Menor Trabalhador de Rua – the home for child street workers in Rondonopolis, Brazil. It was supported by business owners and nuns. They had a library, a foosball table, soccer balls and hourly prayers.”

It was a life-changing resource, and he now wants to return the favor.

“Ever since I was a child, I’ve wanted to repay, from my heart, the sense of security and direction I received at this project,” he said. “Today I’m the fruit of their labors. So I wish to use the money that has been raised to launch a great dream of mine, to offer martial arts, literature and English classes. That way, we can prepare new champions for the fight that is life, and encourage them to use their full potential – intellectual, physical and technical.”

He hopes that plan will sit well with the more than 900 people who have donated anywhere from a few bucks to a thousand to his GoFundMe page. While the financial support wasn’t necessarily needed for his injury – and is now earmarked for a worthy cause – he appreciates the outpouring of support.

“Bellator took responsibility for my hospital costs,” he said. “They paid my win bonus. As such, I don’t find it fair that I should use the money for my own benefit. Even in a loss, I was blessed by the prayers and care of everyone in the fight world.

“May God bless each and every person for their positive thoughts, prayers and contributions. May the blessings also reach your families. And may God also bless Cris, who was so shocked by those images. Thank you for your friendship and concern.”

Great to see he's ok and bellator is taking care of him to the fullest.

On another site ppl were shitting on Bellator saying oh they sgould be all over tgis covering expenses and how shady they were.....saying inly reason they are supporting cyborg is to avoid negative PR adter cyborgs ex wife setup the gofundme...

Unfortunately for them cyborg himself stated, before the gofundme was setup,that Bellator ppl had been with throughout the process and were giving him all the support he needed.Then look at the gofundme page and it states.....

The National Health Service in the UK pays for surgery of this nature, even for foreigners. The Viacom owned Bellator too will undoubtedly be helping out. However, an injury of this nature has a vast number of further costs, including the fact that Santos will certainly not be back at work soon.......the money was for covering his time unable to fight.

Now cyborg says he dont need it hes gonna donate it.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What will Cyborg Santos spend all that unwanted Gofundme money on?

Post by CDF47 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Cool story

Last edited by CDF47 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:47 pm

I think its cool and big hearted cyborg doesn't feel right for taking money when hes already taken care of so hes giving it to the community to help out the kids.Hes one real man.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am

fka wrote:I think its cool and big hearted cyborg doesn't feel right for taking money when hes already taken care of so hes giving it to the community to help out the kids.Hes one real man.

That is cool. I missed some of that the first time I read it so revised my post.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Cyborg is being a class act (calling his ex crazy for trying to help was a bit mean though). Who should he fight next?

Rizin: Marcos Antonio Santana (Jungle Fight)
Bellator: Danasabe Mohammed

InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:17 pm

I'd like to see him take some good time off before coming back after that injury.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:52 pm

^^^Agree, Bellator should deny his request to fight in X # of days. I mean at least the end of this year.

InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 pm

InfinityLens wrote:^^^Agree, Bellator should deny his request to fight in X # of days. I mean at least the end of this year.

Yeah, I hope his doctors put him on a medical suspension so he can't fight for a while.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:54 am

no such thing as unwanted money. MMA fighters get paid NOTHING!

Last edited by stu3ufc on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:55 am

just beautiful that he's investing the money into a social project! Smile

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum