Brandon Halsey and Emanuel Newton have been released by Bellator

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by MR.WILLIE on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 am

Jason Floyd
Jason Floyd – ‏@Jason_Floyd

-Even fighting erokhin in Russia, Newton had a deal with bellator

-I see him joining Wsof for their Lhw division, him vs the winner of branch vs magalhaes is a good fight

-Halsey even do he is coming off loses imo is a bit of surprise to see him get cut

MR.WILLIE

Back to top Go down

Re: Brandon Halsey and Emanuel Newton have been released by Bellator

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:02 am

The Halsey one was a surprise but he did fail to make weight and had to be stripped of the Middleweight Championship while suffering two upset losses.

The Newton one was expected as he lost three in a row in Bellator while looking bad in all three fights. He's also now 1-4 in his last five fights.

Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by MR.WILLIE on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:11 am

Former Bellator middleweight champion Brandon Halsey has confirmed a report that he is no longer with the promotion.

“It’s what I wanted and think it will be better for me in the long run,” Halsey told FightLine late Thursday night.

The 30-year-old Halsey (9-2) is a former NCAA Div. I wrestler who won the Bellator title in 2014 when he choked out Alexander Shlemenko in just 35 seconds. After that, he was scheduled to defend his belt vs. Kendall Grove in 2015, but after missing weight, Bellator stripped Halsey of the belt.

Halsey went on to defeated Grove via TKO, but was bested by Rafael Carvalho last October in a bout to crown a new champion. He lost to John Salter in June via submission.

Halsey, and the release of Emanuel Newton, was first reported by Jason Floyd of The MMA Report.

MR.WILLIE

Back to top Go down

Post by KakutogiBoomBap on Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:55 am

I think this is very strange but maybe there is something I'm not getting.

Newton is a former champ and yes he lost 3 fights, I think this is a somewhat strange release... Bellator can use just about anyone they can get isn't Kendall Grove there? and Manhoef? I love Manhoef and if I was a promoter I wouldn't care if he lost 20 fights in a row he would be a guy I would keep till he wanted to go but yeah...

and I think Halsey is a bit weird too. I want to like Bellator, but some things they do I scratch my head and thinking WTF?

KakutogiBoomBap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocksoldier84 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:25 am

KakutogiBoomBap wrote:I think this is very strange but maybe there is something I'm not getting.

Newton is a former champ and yes he lost 3 fights, I think this is a somewhat strange release... Bellator can use just about anyone they can get isn't Kendall Grove there? and Manhoef? I love Manhoef and if I was a promoter I wouldn't care if he lost 20 fights in a row he would be a guy I would keep till he wanted to go but yeah...

and I think Halsey is a bit weird too. I want to like Bellator, but some things they do I scratch my head and thinking WTF?

Again, I think the Newton thing is that he is 1-4 in his last five as he lost his recent fight and he didn't look good or that competitive in his losses.

Halsey lost two upsets which probably didn't help and he did fail to make weight which forced Bellator to strip him of the title. It's one thing to miss weight but another when you're the champion and have to be stripped of the belt.

As for Grove and Manhoef, Grove has yet to be on a losing streak and is on a two fight win streak in Bellator. Manhoef should be 3-1-1NC and Middleweight Champion as he beat Marshall and Kato while only decisively losing to Schilling. Meanwhile, The Shlemenko loss was overturned due to failed drug test and he was ripped off in the Carvalho fight as he should've won that.

I do agree that Bellator has made puzzling cuts but these aren't puzzling.

Rocksoldier84

Back to top Go down

Post by KakutogiBoomBap on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:42 am

yeah, but Newton isn't some bum even though he is looney, and I agree he has looked like shit lately, and maybe it was mutual - I don't know all the details.
If they just cut him because he lost 3 fights, I think it's kind of strange because they don't have many guys to begin with. I'm not a fan of Newton, I don't have any issues with him either. I just think why not keep him for one or two more fights put him against some of your unknown guys, he's a former champion.

I guess my point about Kendall and Manhoef is they are inconsistent, yet they are kept around while getting rid of so many guys that have names (amongst hardcore's), or up and comers etc etc. and as far as I remember both of them are not former title holders in Bellator - I admit that I'm not a big mark for Bellator, WSOF or UFC.

I

KakutogiBoomBap

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:17 am

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Id post a pic of bjorn but just insert titanic on the bottom of the ovean floor.....HAHAHA 

Newton is not a surprise whatsoever he lost 4 of his last 5.....he's looked really shitty.brian rodgers finally got released it was time for Newton to get the boot.He could go to Rizin or m-1..

Halsey is a bit surprising only cuz i thought he'd get one more shot but its not a huge deal.He missed weight got stripped of belt and lost 2 fights that were supposed to be showcases for him.Get a few wins maybe he can come back if not wsof.

They are making room for more acquisitions.....last time we seen held released only to get the highest profile free agent around.

War coker i have faith he will bring us the best after getting rid of some under performers.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fka on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Manhoef and grove while inconsistent perform well in entertaining fights that fans talking about......newton has just been losing and not in a competitive fashion.

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1

fka

http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 pm

I understand releasing Newton but letting go of Halsey doesn't make much sense.

CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by stu3ufc on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Newton would be good for WSOF maybe fight Vinny Magalhes

stu3ufc

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:12 pm

stu3ufc wrote:Newton would be good for WSOF maybe fight Vinny Magalhes

I'd like to see that one.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

Post by m1challengefan on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:09 pm

KakutogiBoomBap wrote:I think this is very strange but maybe there is something I'm not getting.

As much as someone like Manhoef is considered past his best days he still in reality actually beat that overrated Carvalho and
should be the mw champion of Bellator,not to mention he also has a knockout win over Hisaki Kato,so even though Manhoef is
technically past it he is still very relevant in the Bellator mw division.

m1challengefan

Back to top Go down

Post by InfinityLens on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:37 pm

M1 or WSOF would be great for either (depending on if they care about fighting in the US or not).

InfinityLens

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:26 pm

^I prefer Rizin but M-1, WSOF, KSW, ONE FC, or ROAD FC would be good options as well.

CDF47

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum