Ninjutsu kicks against MMA and Judo holds - Yossi Sheriff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ninjutsu kicks against MMA and Judo holds - Yossi Sheriff

Post by nodogoshi on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Pretty awesome vid.

Back to top Go down

Re: Ninjutsu kicks against MMA and Judo holds - Yossi Sheriff

Post by Hamilcar on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Yep. Good vid and cool moves. I learned a few of them in my old Taekwondo class.

I still maintain that MMA fighters are still behind in martial arts techniques. Wait till we get the first guy who can figure out how to kick while tied up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico Suave on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:21 am

It may work against a casual guy or a martial artist without any grappling experience but no way you could stop a MMA/wrestling single/double leg TD with that kind of training.

Also you don't see many sparring videos in this channel, mainly demonstrations with compliant partners and samurai LARPing.
Rico Suave

Back to top Go down

Post by Hamilcar on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:06 am

Rico Suave wrote:It may work against a casual guy or a martial artist without any grappling experience but no way you could stop a MMA/wrestling single/double leg TD with that kind of training.

Also you don't see many sparring videos in this channel, mainly demonstrations with compliant partners and samurai LARPing.

They said the same thing about spin kicks.  Look, he's just doing low leg kicks for the most part.  We already got every fighter doing knees from this position.  When he kicks the solar plexus, that's being demonstrated in a tie up after you create space.  I see no reason why someone can't sneak one in there in such a situation.

I know that when this is going on, they are not just standing there.  They are fighting for openings and position the whole time.  But if you can get on one leg for a knee to the gut, in these situations, you can certainly kick the legs.

Last edited by Hamilcar on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by CDF47 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Some slick moves in that vid.

Isaiah 53, Daniel 9:25-27, Acts 4:12
http://www.godandscience.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings & Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Rico Suave wrote:It may work against a casual guy or a martial artist without any grappling experience but no way you could stop a MMA/wrestling single/double leg TD with that kind of training.

It's simply another tool for the tool belt.

It is similar to the kuzushi in judo, which is the balance break; except these techniques are actually much older, and the kuzushi was regarded as one of Jigoro Kano's unique contributions (he certainly couldn't have invented the notion I don't believe, but he systematized and integrated it as a core concept of judo).

That said, in modern competition judo, these sorts of techniques have largely been lost, due to the emphasis on the sport. Modern judo still in fact preaches such techniques, but they're rarely practiced, much less as a practical modern fighting system (like these guys are doing).

The guy says in the video a couple times that he hopes they'll be able to use these techniques in randori (sparring). Their website states their mission in pretty practical terms.

So while your concerns are valid in a broad sense, these guys seem to have a pretty good martial spirit and approach.

It's worth noting they are Israeli, which for obvious reasons is frequently have a pretty interesting approach to martial arts (and care a lot about practicality).

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico Suave on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm a kickboxer and I have only limited grappling experience but I don't think it's clever to kick your opponent during an "over-under" clinch position because you will lose balance and you will land on your back. Even if you don't fall you cannot kick with power from this position. MMA and Muay Thai fighters use thai clinch to throw knees. I don't understand the comparaison with spin kicks (roundhouse kicks ?) because early Vale Tudo thaiboxers used roundhouse kicks against BJJ guys since the 90s. Muay Thai proved its utility, not ninjutsu or aikido because they don't produce great fighters.

Don't fall in the israeli martial hype. Watch videos from the Gaza flotilla raid in 2010: israeli elite naval commandos were beat the shit out by fat Turks with sticks. They all had to train the purest krav maga but they couldn't deal with a bunch of civilians. I sparred a few time with krav maga practionners and they all had terrible boxing technique and very limited grappling skills but all thought that their art was perfect and their teachers were killing machines: "We have no RULES, you pathetic boxers are only doing SPORT".
Rico Suave

Back to top Go down

Post by nodogoshi on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 am

Saying a guy must be a good fighter because he's Israeli is like saying all Asians are experts in Kung Fu, which isn't at all what I meant, just that they have a lot of institutions for studying martial arts in a pretty systematic way, if I'm not mistaken.

Not like they're unique here either, but I guess all local traditions are individual in ways.

I think these kicks are mostly being used to set up throws. The footwork is different, as is the use of momentum and leverage. I think these could be effective, but mostly just found it interesting.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum