What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:30 am

First and foremosts, I'd make it mandatory that all fights take place like the are supposed to, in a RING.

Second, I'd like to see kicks and knees to the head of a grounded opponent  brought back.

Last, bring back the 10 minute round and yellow cards for Pete's sake. I think this always really separated the elite from the rest. Fighters generally have good cardio but fighting for 10 straight minutes before the first break is on a whole other level.

I only want to see it brought back if the fight is in a ring though. I feel like bringing it to a "cage fight" would only invite more lay n pray from wrestleboxing point-fighters.

What would the people of G-MMA like to see added or taken out of the unified rules?

adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 am

First of all I thinks it´s f#cked up that they call the shitty UFC rules the "unified rules". Ring should be standard and I don´t want elbows because they only ruin fights. They should score the whole fight and not the rounds. KSW and M-1 have good rules and they look at what fighter landed most strikes/kicks and went for most submissions. They don´t care about who had dominant positions because that´s not fighting.

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by wekka on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 am

Honestly, I just want more strikes to a grounded opponent and yellow cards.

I miss the ten minute first round but it doesn't feel right being anywhere else but Japan.

Also, the ten point must system isn't the problem. The incompetent judges and lack of a clear criteria is the problem.

wekka

Location : Half-Breed/Georgia
Age : 27
Posts : 4548
Join date : 2012-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by nodogoshi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 am

I would change their existence to non-existence. I would just burn them, and go to OneFC rules, minus elbows on the ground (or make elbows optional, such as how they are eliminated in Bellator for tournament fights, for instance. I don't like them, but I could be flexible).

I prefer a ring, but I'm not going to make a huge deal about that either. The ring admittedly has problems as well.

_________________

nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4451
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:52 pm

wekka wrote:Honestly, I just want more strikes to a grounded opponent and yellow cards.

I miss the ten minute first round but it doesn't feel right being anywhere else but Japan.

Also, the ten point must system isn't the problem. The incompetent judges and lack of a clear criteria is the problem.
I agree. There isn't really anything wrong with the  10 pt must system. It just seems that most people don't know how to use it.

Me and backdoor to zuffa had an extensive discussion about it in the chat last week where he agreed.

I still see many people ask things like "How many points is a takedown again?"

I've read known journalist even say things like "We need clear guidelines on what is worth more points."

Like they think you give out points for certain techniques and then add them up lol.

It's like they don't understand that the round winner gets 10 pts (unless deducted one). Hence the "10 pt must" part of calling it the "10 pt MUST system" lol

I've know tons of fans that are better at scoring fights than these "experts". Sorry to get off on a bit of a rant but I was glad you brought that up.

I still prefer the PRIDE way of judging a fight as a whole because I feel like it's easier for everyone to understand; but I don't think there's anything wrong with the 10 pt scoring system either. Like you said, just the people who use it.


Last edited by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by MR.WILLIE on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Knees in the ground allowed!

MR.WILLIE

Location : Puerto Rico
Posts : 6498
Join date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by nodogoshi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:19 pm

The 10 point must system is one of the biggest problems of all, and this has nothing to do with the competency of judges.

We have a system which is designed for 10, 12, 15 round boxing matches being applied to MMA.

Honestly, I am so sick of discussing this. It is self evident how inappropriate it is.

_________________

nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4451
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by nodogoshi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:21 pm

There is nothing contradictory to the ten point must, for example, if a fighter just barely, though legitimately squeaks out the first 2 rounds, gets his ass beat the 3rd round, and wins the fight by criteria.

For example.

The 10 point must system for MMA is arguably the biggest factor which destroys the legitimacy of MMA from a sporting standpoint, and I am not exaggerating when I say that.

_________________

nodogoshi
Moderator

Location : USA
Posts : 4451
Join date : 2011-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Agree with you nodo. 10 points must system is not designed for 3 or 5 rounds mma. They must look at the whole fight to give a fair decision.

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by loyalty13 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't like  soccer kicks to a downed person. Those are just too brutal imo. i'd like to see downward elbows allowed and knees to the even if the person is on their knees or has a hand down.

_________________

loyalty13

Posts : 298
Join date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by loyalty13 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm

nodogoshi wrote:There is nothing contradictory to the ten point must, for example, if a fighter just barely, though legitimately squeaks out the first 2 rounds, gets his ass beat the 3rd round, and wins the fight by criteria.

For example.

The 10 point must system for MMA is arguably the biggest factor which destroys the legitimacy of MMA from a sporting standpoint, and I am not exaggerating when I say that.
There is also the issue of if a guy beats that ass for two rounds. then, we'll say, gasses and loses the third badly. The fight would be a draw with one guy losing for 10 minutes then winning for five. How do we reconcile that?

_________________

loyalty13

Posts : 298
Join date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:20 pm

loyalty13 wrote:I don't like  soccer kicks to a downed person. Those are just too brutal imo. i'd like to see downward elbows allowed and knees to the even if the person is on their knees or has a hand down.
Elbows are more brutal than soccer kicks, especially downward elbows.

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by loyalty13 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm

KSW wrote:
loyalty13 wrote:I don't like  soccer kicks to a downed person. Those are just too brutal imo. i'd like to see downward elbows allowed and knees to the even if the person is on their knees or has a hand down.
Elbows are more brutal than soccer kicks, especially downward elbows.
I don't know man. a soccer kick where the guy takes a step back and boots him is generating a lot of force.downward elbows do cut worse and break facial bones im sure, but i don't think it's comparable to a concussion. I am talking about the worst case scenario soccer kicks, of course. not a short, quick kick.


_________________

loyalty13

Posts : 298
Join date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:29 pm

loyalty13 wrote:
KSW wrote:
loyalty13 wrote:I don't like  soccer kicks to a downed person. Those are just too brutal imo. i'd like to see downward elbows allowed and knees to the even if the person is on their knees or has a hand down.
Elbows are more brutal than soccer kicks, especially downward elbows.
I don't know man. a soccer kick where the guy takes a step back and boots him is generating a lot of force.downward elbows do cut worse and break facial bones im sure, but i don't think it's comparable to a concussion. I am talking about the worst case scenario soccer kicks, of course. not a short, quick kick.

Yeah they can be disgusting in full force like in that gif. I would say the KSW and M-1 rules are the best with no elbows and no soccerkicks. I like to keep it classy.

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 pm

nodogoshi wrote:The 10 point must system is one of the biggest problems of all, and this has nothing to do with the competency of judges.

We have a system which is designed for 10, 12, 15 round boxing matches being applied to MMA.

Honestly, I am so sick of discussing this. It is self evident how inappropriate it is.
No offense, but if you're sick of talking about it no one if forcing you to.

And how is it a bigger problem over the competency of the judges?  I've seen people say that on many forums but they never have any valid points.

I am anticipating your reply.


Last edited by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 pm

loyalty13 wrote:I don't like  soccer kicks to a downed person. Those are just too brutal imo. i'd like to see downward elbows allowed and knees to the even if the person is on their knees or has a hand down.
That's a good one

adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by MR.WILLIE on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:28 pm

"The (athletic commissions) don't do s---. It's the same reason this
"Scoring is very flawed," said Rogam. "It's flawed in a bunch of different ways. The biggest reason it's flawed is because of the 10-Point Must system which was adopted from boxing. That might work in a 12-round fight. 12, three minute rounds is very different than three, five minute rounds. Three, five minute rounds, you're going 10-9 on rounds that either guy could win and then the next round a guy could get taken down, busted up, dropped, and you score that a 10-9 as well. That makes no f---ing sense. The system in place right now, the scoring system, is from boxing and they need to develop one just for MMA.


C.J. Ross lady is still a f---ng judge, or was a judge, until she stepped down. The athletic commissions do a woefully inadequate job on several levels. The UFC can't dictate who judges. the UFC can't dictate who referees. The UFC can't dictate what the rules are. They can't do anything. They can work with the commission to try to give suggestions and come up with ways around problems, but ultimately it's the job of the athletic commission."

Even joe rogan doesn't like the scoring system

MR.WILLIE

Location : Puerto Rico
Posts : 6498
Join date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by wekka on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Seems like even Rogan doesn't even understand the scoring system.

Why is it so hard to give 10-10 rounds?

wekka

Location : Half-Breed/Georgia
Age : 27
Posts : 4548
Join date : 2012-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:16 pm

wekka wrote:Seems like even Rogan doesn't even understand the scoring system.

Why is it so hard to give 10-10 rounds?
To make a fair judgement of the fight they would have to give out 10-10 as well as 10-6 or 10-7 when someone is getting completely dominated and saved by the bell. This is why it´s best to look a the whole fight and count which fighter landed most strikes, went for most submissions and did most takedowns and trips.

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Joe Rogan says a lot of.....things.

I've heard him say this time and time before but his point is always weak.

The scenario he described, a round that "either guy could win", would be a draw round, no? Which would be considered a 10-10.

Look, PRIDE scoring was my absolute favorite. They judged fights as a whole but unfortunately I do see it ever going back to that in North America.

And I just DO NOT absolutely see how the 10 pt scoring system is more of a problem then the judges who use it.

It just sort of seems like some sort of contrarian hipster logic.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really opened minded. So if anyone can do a successful job of convincing me how flawed the 10 pt system is or why it is a bigger problem then the judges, I'll glady accept it and give you kudos.

It's just every time I read someone's point against it, it's like they are saying a lot without really saying anything.


adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

wekka wrote:Seems like even Rogan doesn't even understand the scoring system.

Why is it so hard to give 10-10 rounds?
I agree. Which goes back to me saying I think a lot of MMA "experts" don't get it.

KSW wrote:To make a fair judgement of the fight they would have to give out 10-10 as well as 10-6 or 10-7 when someone is getting completely dominated and saved by the bell. This is why it´s best to look a the whole fight and count which fighter landed most strikes, went for most submissions and did most takedowns and trips.
Why would a 10-7 or a 10-6 be needed?


And I agree with the second part (not bolded).

adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

adam wrote:Joe Rogan says a lot of.....things.

I've heard him say this time and time before but his point is always weak.

The scenario he described, a round that "either guy could win", would be a draw round, no? Which would be considered a 10-10.

Look, PRIDE scoring was my absolute favorite. They judged fights as a whole but unfortunately I do see it ever going back to that in North America.

And I just DO NOT absolutely see how the 10 pt scoring system is more of a problem then the judges who use it.

It just sort of seems like some sort of contrarian hipster logic.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really opened minded. So if anyone can do a successful job of convincing me how flawed the 10 pt system is or why it is a bigger problem then the judges, I'll glady accept it and give you kudos.

It's just every time I read someone's point against it, it's like they are saying a lot without really saying anything.

I absolutely agree the system would work if the judges gave out 10-10 as well as 10-6 rounds but it´s never going to happen so they need to scrap the 10 Points system asap. The judges are obsessed with 10-9 rounds and that´s what destroys many fights. They also think takedowns and octagon control is more worth than landed strikes. Copy PRIDE, KSW or M-1 and Everything will be alright.

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by KSW on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:35 pm

adam wrote:
wekka wrote:Seems like even Rogan doesn't even understand the scoring system.

Why is it so hard to give 10-10 rounds?
I agree. Which goes back to me saying I think a lot of MMA "experts" don't get it.

KSW wrote:To make a fair judgement of the fight they would have to give out 10-10 as well as 10-6 or 10-7 when someone is getting completely dominated and saved by the bell. This is why it´s best to look a the whole fight and count which fighter landed most strikes, went for most submissions and did most takedowns and trips.
Why would a 10-7 or a 10-6 be needed?


And I agree with the second part (not bolded).
In 5 round title fights 10-6 rounds are needed. What if one fighter barely wins 4 rounds and gets totally destroyed in one round?

KSW

Location : Sweden
Posts : 9370
Join date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by wekka on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:37 pm

KSW wrote:
adam wrote:
wekka wrote:Seems like even Rogan doesn't even understand the scoring system.

Why is it so hard to give 10-10 rounds?
I agree. Which goes back to me saying I think a lot of MMA "experts" don't get it.

KSW wrote:To make a fair judgement of the fight they would have to give out 10-10 as well as 10-6 or 10-7 when someone is getting completely dominated and saved by the bell. This is why it´s best to look a the whole fight and count which fighter landed most strikes, went for most submissions and did most takedowns and trips.
Why would a 10-7 or a 10-6 be needed?


And I agree with the second part (not bolded).
In 5 round title fights 10-6 rounds are needed. What if one fighter barely wins 4 rounds and gets totally destroyed in one fight?
Then that would be a 10-8, maybe 10-7. That's where a solid criteria would come into play.

wekka

Location : Half-Breed/Georgia
Age : 27
Posts : 4548
Join date : 2012-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: What would YOU change in the unified rules?

Post by adam on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:39 pm

KSW wrote:
adam wrote:Joe Rogan says a lot of.....things.

I've heard him say this time and time before but his point is always weak.

The scenario he described, a round that "either guy could win", would be a draw round, no? Which would be considered a 10-10.

Look, PRIDE scoring was my absolute favorite. They judged fights as a whole but unfortunately I do see it ever going back to that in North America.

And I just DO NOT absolutely see how the 10 pt scoring system is more of a problem then the judges who use it.

It just sort of seems like some sort of contrarian hipster logic.

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really opened minded. So if anyone can do a successful job of convincing me how flawed the 10 pt system is or why it is a bigger problem then the judges, I'll glady accept it and give you kudos.

It's just every time I read someone's point against it, it's like they are saying a lot without really saying anything.

I absolutely agree the system would work if the judges gave out 10-10 as well as 10-6 rounds but it´s never going to happen so they need to scrap the 10 Points system asap. The judges are obsessed with 10-9 rounds and that´s what destroys many fights. They also think takedowns and octagon control is more worth than landed strikes. Copy PRIDE, KSW or M-1 and Everything will be alright.
I agree about the lack of 10-10's and the judges don't know how to use it. That's why I was trying to tell Nodo and others that's it's not a bigger problem than incompetent judges.

But I disagree with the use of 10-7 and 10-6 rounds. They are really not needed imo.

adam

Location : america
Posts : 1209
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum